Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Got my garden up and running!

I grow bush beans with corn but because we have such a challenge with squash bugs here, I keep my squash away from everything but natural pest deterrent herbs. I have three huge pole bean arbors. Beans produce such an abundant amount of nitrogen, which is something corn thrives on, bush beans work great with my corn growing pattern since they are low growers. I don't even care if they produce as long as they feed the soil for my corn. I plant a couple seeds in one hole about every 5ft. If they get to thick, I just thin them out.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    To grow pole beans, squash, and corn together. The squash keeps the ground from drying out and the corn provides a pole for the beans. The Indians used this method.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

In other news... my garden just got hammered with hail. Too dark to really assess, but still gonna need time to recover.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Ohhhh Shlt! I'm so sorry! Man, that really sucks! Another good reason to have some shade cloth I think. After all the work involved, I'd be in tears!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Onions got spanked, and my peppers seem to have taken a pretty good beating. Herbs got whacked, but they'll come back, lettuce is smashed, maters seem to have done ok, they're not big yet, so small targets.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Sucks man, sorry to hear. Every time I face a set back I tell myself it's something to learn from for when my families life depends on it. Not really much you can do against mother nature though, except maybe a shade cloth like Cammie said would have offered some protection. On the onions though they may pop back, I intentionally strap on mine and bend them before they make the seed head to help grow the onion bigger. Hope everything works out for you
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Yes, shade cloth over a sturdy wire frame save my butt a couple times. I use cattle panels as frames. I make A frames over my plots and tie strap them together at the peak and drape shade cloth over it. Hail bounces right off if you stretch the shade cloth tight. Takes about 10 minutes to erect two 16' foot cattle panels and cover it. We keep several of them around and cut some of them in half to make 16'x2'. They come as 16'x4' panels. I know you know that but it finished out my comment. lol

Cattle panels are as handy as a battery powered saws all. Good things to have around!
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

AMEN to that. I built my green houses out of them. Still standing strong after 23 years!