Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What can we do about drones?

Winni, that video is a perfect example of trespassing and invasion of privacy that I'm speaking of. There is now video all over the place of her house number, the inside of her home, and locations of personal property. I think I will talk to our congresswoman and see if we can't set a standard, I'm sure something is in the works and it needs to be more protective of the public than the operators.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Daelith, you're thinking too narrow. There should be a buffer zone indeed, but I'm talking snooping, trespassing and invasion of privacy. With the tech available cameras can reach in from hundreds of yards away, we need some form of protection for our privacy. Say a law that requires homeowner permission to perform photo or video in a detailed manner. If the operator is singling out a property taking video/photo of people or that property specifically without permission they can be charged with trespassing and invasion of privacy regardless of how far away they are.

A common? I don't know I couldn't think of anything low enough to equate to that kind of thought process, that's why I left it open. Do you blame kids getting beat and abused on the kid too for not being good enough?
    There are already peeping Tom laws in many jurisdictions with specific qualifiers. Looking onto your land or into your back yard doesn't qualify in most as far as I'm aware. If they're looking in windows and dipping low you probably have a case but otherwise you have no expectation of privacy from a drone any more than you do from a survey plane or helicopter flying over. Photo or video of your property that is visible from a public place has long since been deemed acceptable by the courts. To change that would have far-reaching and profound implications for well established photography laws that have already been hashed out in court many, many times.

Maybe because you're too busy trying to make yourself out as a victim to put much thought into it. Same crap the lefties pull. Stop being a snowflake.

So what does dipping low have to do with it?
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Kind of hard to prove the shooter Daelith if one was wearing a full costume like say a gorilla suit. Lol My point is though, some out there that don't respect people's privacy are a menace to society. Yes it may be legal to fly over someone's backyard and peep at their females laying out at the pool, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daelith View Post
    First, no, the registration is not required to be clearly visible unless you're holding it in your hands. And I'd argue that even given the laws currently on the books about model aircraft.

Second, there's nothing to be done about them. Unless they're hovering below the treeline / roof, they're in public airspace. Unless they're positioned to peer into your windows it's no different than a car driving back and forth. Don't blame the drones because you don't like what your daughters are doing.
    how is this no different than a car driving by?
    If the drone is hovering over your yard from an elevated position, looking down, this is an invasion of privacy. Cars on the road are here and gone. I would also introduce the drone to some 12g love.
    Drones have there uses, but checking out half dressed teenage girls in the privacy of their own property ain't one of them. Your justification holds no water....
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    Kind of hard to prove the shooter Daelith if one was wearing a full costume like say a gorilla suit. Lol My point is though, some out there that don't respect people's privacy are a menace to society. Yes it may be legal to fly over someone's backyard and peep at their females laying out at the pool, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.
    What you think is right and what others have the right to do are most likely separate things. The KKK spouting crap is wrong, but perfectly within their rights.

Quote Originally Posted by hadite81 View Post
    how is this no different than a car driving by?
    If the drone is hovering over your yard from an elevated position, looking down, this is an invasion of privacy. Cars on the road are here and gone. I would also introduce the drone to some 12g love.
    Drones have there uses, but checking out half dressed teenage girls in the privacy of their own property ain't one of them. Your justification holds no water....
    You may think it's an invasion. Tell that to the courts that have sided with that justification multiple times. If it's visible from public property its fair game unless it involves looking into a private residence. Cars can in fact park on the public road in front of your house. Nothing you can do about that, regardless of what they can see while parked there.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    So what does dipping low have to do with it?
    Dropping altitude below nearby trees and/or the roof line moves you definitely out of navigable airspace and into the usable property interests which can put them on the FAA's radar so to speak. Then they are most likely trespassing. If they're level with and pointing cameras in windows, they're violating laws.

It shows to your character to protect perverts Daelith!! Lol I've never said nor have a problem with drones until they are spying on my wife in my backyard at the pool. But I guess you have no problems with actions like that....
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    It shows to your character to protect perverts Daelith!! Lol I've never said nor have a problem with drones until they are spying on my wife in my backyard at the pool. But I guess you have no problems with actions like that....
    Full bore Constitutionalist, so yeah I protect perverts, supposed criminals, and everyone else until they directly injure someone (and none of this "offended" bull). A drone constantly buzzing 200 feet over my house would annoy me, sure, but liberals annoy the crap out of me too and I don't shoot them, nor their vehicles, nor do I use it as an excuse to destroy their property.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelith View Post
    You may think it's an invasion. Tell that to the courts that have sided with that justification multiple times. If it's visible from public property its fair game unless it involves looking into a private residence. Cars can in fact park on the public road in front of your house. Nothing you can do about that, regardless of what they can see while parked there.
    Not in Texas

It depends on the intent of the drone operator in Texas

Texas makes it illegal for me to intentionally use my drone above 8' AGL to spy on people or even PRIVATE PROPERTY.........even if my drone is legally operating on/over public property

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/GV.423.htm

Sec. 423.003. OFFENSE: ILLEGAL USE OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT TO CAPTURE IMAGE. (a) A person commits an offense if the person uses an unmanned aircraft to capture an image of an individual or privately owned real property in this state with the intent to conduct surveillance on the individual or property captured in the image.
    (b) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.
    (c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the person destroyed the image:
    (1) as soon as the person had knowledge that the image was captured in violation of this section; and
    (2) without disclosing, displaying, or distributing the image to a third party.
    (d) In this section, "intent" has the meaning assigned by Section 6.03, Penal Code.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

After discussing this issue with Alaska when I was still a newbie to this forum, I came up with a plan to remedy the problem of possible criminal intentions. (i.e.; casing my property or spying) I bought a damn drone and I'll use it over my property to bring down a drone. Oops, I accidentally ran into your drone and caused it to crash. Fight fire with fire. I checked with our local law inforcement and that is perfectly legit over my own property.

But, to maintain my privacy, I do have shade cloth over parts of my property that I intend to keep private from sky eyes.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.