Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What can we do about drones?

Saw a mini net shot out of a shotgun shell somewhere last week. Add a subsonic round, and maybe suppressor, and drone be damn.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    I have seen videos of guys with CB radios in their vehicles along with linear amps shutting electronics off when they key up. If one had a very powerful setup, say in their house with the antenna on the roof it would probably take a drone down. You just can't say anything on it that would tie you to the transmission. I can remember when I was a kid, a neighbor of ours had a home CB setup. The lady would get on the CB and would talk to her husband. When she would key up, she would talk through our TV. On more than one occassion my mom would have to quickly turn the TV off before we could hear what was being said!
    CB to TV makes a little sense back in the day

CB (27ish MHZ) interfering with a drone on 2400 MHZ is unlikely, especially given the fact that a CB Channel is operating in a few Khz, hell the entire CB spectrum is only 440 KHz wide whereas a drone like the Mavic uses a full 20MHZ of bandwidth in the 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ range so it can absorb interference very well.

And even if you interrupt the control signal on 2.4 GHZ, the drone will still fly home unless you can block GPS signals on 1575.42 MHZ as well

++++++++++

And to the proponents of the shotgun solution

Good luck shooting a 12" drone at 400 feet AGL when it's 900 feet away flying at 40+MPH lol, you are one hell of a shot.

To be honest you'd never even hear the drone if I was spying on you, I'd bring it up above 500' and fly slow so you wouldn't see or hear it. then I'd just zoom the camera in.

Truth be told you can't escape surveillance in today's age, it's just not possible anymore....

Look at the DJI Inspire with Thermal

Last edited by Tdale; 03-06-2017 at 08:41 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Are the cameras that good you could zoom in from that distance? Maybe I shoulda get one
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

I've seen my place on Google earth, that's a little different than a perv checking out your wives or daughters or me when I'm taking a leak outside.........I don't think they make cameras that good never mind. Flying over is one thing, snooping around is another.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

This is what you need for privacy and still get plenty of sun. I have it over my garden plus over the pool for privacy because we like to skinny dip. From the air you can't see through it with a camera. It just looks black.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Agfabric-30-...YAAOSwTA9X6xUf
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Ready 4 reset View Post
    Are the cameras that good you could zoom in from that distance? Maybe I shoulda get one
    depends on how much money you want to throw at the problem, put DJI Zenmuse Z30 (that's an 30X optical zoom) on an Inspire, you could fly at 1000' AGL and still get great shots of anything a mile away.

Last edited by Tdale; 03-06-2017 at 09:25 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdale View Post
    CB to TV makes a little sense back in the day

CB (27ish MHZ) interfering with a drone on 2400 MHZ is unlikely, especially given the fact that a CB Channel is operating in a few Khz, hell the entire CB spectrum is only 440 KHz wide whereas a drone like the Mavic uses a full 20MHZ of bandwidth in the 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ range so it can absorb interference very well.

And even if you interrupt the control signal on 2.4 GHZ, the drone will still fly home unless you can block GPS signals on 1575.42 MHZ as well

++++++++++

And to the proponents of the shotgun solution

Good luck shooting a 12" drone at 400 feet AGL when it's 900 feet away flying at 40+MPH lol, you are one hell of a shot.

To be honest you'd never even hear the drone if I was spying on you, I'd bring it up above 500' and fly slow so you wouldn't see or hear it. then I'd just zoom the camera in.

Truth be told you can't escape surveillance in today's age, it's just not possible anymore....

Look at the DJI Inspire with Thermal

I'm talking more about overloading the electronics, not necessarily jamming the signals. I saw a video that was recorded on an old school VHS camcorder. It was recording a CB radio competition. When one guy keyed up his mic, it shut the old school camcorder down. Is this not possible on modern electronics?
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    I'm talking more about overloading the electronics, not necessarily jamming the signals. I saw a video that was recorded on an old school VHS camcorder. It was recording a CB radio competition. When one guy keyed up his mic, it shut the old school camcorder down. Is this not possible on modern electronics?
    I don't know if it's theoretically possible, I'm just saying I don't think its likely

Most electronics are shielded to prevent interference, it's a legal requirement actually, this also shields them from interference, now if you push 10,000 watts of 27mhz signal directly at a drone 10' away maybe it'll do some damage, but 75 watts on 2M doesn't do anything when my drone is 2' away from the HAM antenna, so I tend to think 1000 watts at 100' would also be rather ineffective, as would 10,000 watts at 1000'
    Last edited by Tdale; 03-06-2017 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdale View Post
    I don't know if it's theoretically possible, I'm just saying I don't think its likely

Most electronics are shielded to prevent interference, it's a legal requirement actually, this also shields them from interference, now if you push 10,000 watts of 27mhz signal directly at a drone 10' away maybe it'll do some damage, but 75 watts on 2M doesn't do anything when my drone is 2' away from the HAM antenna, so I tend to think 1000 watts at 100' would also be rather ineffective, as would 10,000 watts at 1000'
    I agree. you would have to have a lot of power, and have the drone be very close in order for anything to happen.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

There will be laws made, it's just that the tech is becoming more available reducing the cost and making them affordable to more people quicker than those laws can/need to be made. I'm not by any means against them, just not invading personal space.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.