Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got HF working in my truck once again.

Restarting this thread. I had my 857 in my Jeep at one time ,but HF has been so undependable for the last year I took it out, The FT 857D is a good radio, small enough for even the Jeep JKU (wrangler type 4 dr), 100 watts on HF, but only 50 watts on 2m ,which I use mostly for simplex. When HF went down the tubes ,I put my ft2900 2m back in, for the 75 watts. When the HF bands are actually working I have had good luck with only 100 watts, I DO Not want an amp just because of power draw, and the fact it would screw with the computer in the Jeep( tried it on 2m).
    Anyway, radios are all pretty much the same, ANTENNA especially when mobile on HF is everything. I have tried small screwdriver types, to single band whip types, the screwdriver types are of course best for multi HF bands, but also REAL easy to break on a Jeep! The single band whips are more sturdy, but limit band and bandwidth without a tuner, and some don't recommend being used with a tuner.
    WHAT are y'all using?

I'm hoping HF clears up pretty soon, and maybe I can jump back in with both feet.
    Last edited by jnr0104; 05-09-2017 at 07:57 AM.

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

Still looking for my 857-D here. I don't have anything in my vehicles at this time. I just use uhf vhf handheld with external antenna for now.
    Glad your back up n running.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Yeah, I pulled the TS-480 out of my truck for some reason I don't recall and never put it back. I'm contemplating selling it (I got it for $600 used) and using the proceeds for an FT-891. I've got a 450D on my desk, and I don't think I'd have as much "so yeah... how does this work again" going between a 450 and an 891 as I do with the TS-480 as little as I use it.