Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got HF working in my truck once again.

Quote Originally Posted by austinrob View Post
    yeah, 17m is usually pretty quiet and almost as open as 20m.

I proposed 20 as you're talking about 160, 80, 40... so your antenna is probably decent on 20m as well without the need for a tuner.

I am running about 500 feet of 12 gauge insulated wire from Lowes. I have it configured as a loop up into the tops of my trees. I am using a tuner and have been able to tune it down even to 6 meters.

Just got my fuses I ordered the other day and am going to try and get my Ameritron 811H running again. It has been down for about two years. I am sure it has a serious case of "Arthritis " from lack of use.

Backpacker 1513,

My 706 is a Mark I. No 70cM on it. Yeah it performs pretty well for what it is. Mine was purchased from a Elmer, he bought it new.
    I did not know that was the difference in the Mk 1's and Mk II's. No problem as 70cm is a band I am the least want to use as it seems to work best with a directional antenna and I am only using an Omni for that band.

I am thinking about experimenting more with 6 meters as that is also a band I seldom use...but they say that like 10m...it goes long very nicely when it does.

KingChip,

I'm going to try to get radio going in my truck soon. Anybody familiar with the fuse box in a 13 F250? Ran the wires to there through the firewall but not sure what to connect to. I want to bypass all auxiliary power sources and shoot all but straight to the battery.
    In my truck and using my FT 100d..I literally have a wire running directly to my battery but have a fuse in it right there close to the battery. I chose not to mess with my trucks fuse box...but install my own fuse in the power line. Ford Ranger.

It's your call.

Good luck,

Orangetom

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    I'm going to try to get radio going in my truck soon. Anybody familiar with the fuse box in a 13 F250? Ran the wires to there through the firewall but not sure what to connect to. I want to bypass all auxiliary power sources and shoot all but straight to the battery.
    http://www.k0bg.com/ has all you want to know about mobile radio.

The consensus is run wires from the radio straight to the battery, fuse both leads close to the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    I've got some friends that use the FT-857. never heard a peep of anything bad about them.

I have an original IC-706. Not a bad rig IMO.

I have the FT-897D I use for a base at home and love it, planning on getting the 857 for my Jeep when funds allow such a thing.
    the only complaint I have is the menu options were a pain to learn, and I have been told almost all of this brand radio are the same. I have a 2m yaesu as well and again the menu options are a little difficult to get used to.
    NOTE: once learned I can now zoom right through and do what needs to be done, and the hassle wasn't enough for me to be turned away from the radios.
    just my .02
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman1 View Post
    I have the FT-897D I use for a base at home and love it, planning on getting the 857 for my Jeep when funds allow such a thing.
    the only complaint I have is the menu options were a pain to learn, and I have been told almost all of this brand radio are the same. I have a 2m yaesu as well and again the menu options are a little difficult to get used to.
    NOTE: once learned I can now zoom right through and do what needs to be done, and the hassle wasn't enough for me to be turned away from the radios.
    just my .02
    Agree Sandman,

I have the FT 100 d in my truck and the menu options can be difficult to remember.

Also one other thing. The buttons on both the FT 100 and FT 857 are very close together. When driving and operating it is very easy to hit the wrong button and wind up who knows where on the frequency spectrum. But that is operator error not necessarily the fault of the radio. Just letting you know about rigs getting smaller and smaller today.

But it is nice having all that frequency coverage in the vehicle.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Yes it's easy to hit the wrong button even as a base setting so I can imagine going down the road...
    I too love the coverage as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!