Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got HF working in my truck once again.

Default Got HF working in my truck once again.

In my truck the HF rig has been down for about a month. I've not wanted to mess with it much since I seldom use the truck with the exception of running bigger loads than I can handle in a car.

But the Truck is set up with coms should I need to bug out. The rig is a Yaesu FT 100d radio. I encountered a power problem wherein the rig would not come on but sputter a bit...and then not come on.

Today I took time to clean the battery posts and in particular where I had hooked up the power line for this HF radio and also clean off carefully the fuse in that very line.

This seemed to solve the problem and I am now back Q5.

With the other things going on here and at my parents house this has not been a big priority.

Nonetheless it is good to have the rig back on line. I can work 2 meters, 70 CM, 6 meters and also 80 through 10 meters. I cannot tune 160 with the antenna system I have on this truck.

I am contemplating building my own 160 meter antenna on a magnetic mount...from these plans...here..
    Further study and research to be done soon.

http://www.craigwilliams.com/radio/m...ter/index.html

Thanks and 73,

Orangetom

Good to hear OT - I hope to have a com radio of some sort in my truck (probably going to replace the truck first though). That's some awesome capability you have there. I've looked at the old Yaesu FT-100's... pretty cool beans. I need to get back on my Ham setup and get on the air again, it's been gathering dust far too long.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

bruss01,

The FT 100D series radios are very nice for the monies. However they are very small and compact for the features they offer. I have found it very easy, as the operator, to hit the wrong button when driving and find myself way out on a frequency somewhere for which I have not planned. That is the main drawback for which I have found on them. I run only the power in the radio. Barefoot.

Indeed....with my work schedule and working two carriers back to back....I had not much time for the radio...or at least HF. I did find some time to use my 2 meter/440 MHZ walkie talkie for which I carry in my daily to and fro work bag...which is also my BOB. That is about it on 12 hour days for two plus years. I did miss running HF.

To my knowledge the FT 100 series radios have been eclipsed by the FT 857 rigs which are even smaller. Just when I thought it could not get any smaller....they go smaller.

I have no experience with the FT 857 rigs and know no one who has.

I do have an Icom 706 mobile rig which I am running off of a power supply in the radio shack. The drawback I find to this rig in running mobile is that it does not have a set of fans on the back for cooling as does the FT 100 series. I solve this problem on the base station by using a small quiet Wal Mart fan across the back of the cooling fins.

To my interest and notice...when we ran about 30 watts the other night the back of the Icom 706 only got mildly warm. The Icom is not a rig for which I would be want to run in the truck in lieu of the FT 100 with its lack of cooling fans.

Hope you get back on the air soon Bruss 01,

A very 73 too you and your house.

Orangetom

Just after noon time here I called my friend in Tennessee and we tried 1.900MHZ on the 160 meter band. I wanted to see how it would work in the daytime and it was a no go. 160 works well at night but in the daytime I could not even hear him.

We are going to explore 75 and 60 meters for daytime contact and see how it will work. As we are both preppers we want to know if we can make contact and determine frequencies to us ..and draw up a contact sheet.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

basic rule of thumb is above 10Mhz is daytime, below is night. Though sometimes 20m band will work of an evening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_usable_frequency has a good overall description.

http://www.spacew.com/www/realtime.php is an over simple map about MUF. There are other web pages that will generate a MUF map for you based on where you are.

There are already some projects that have set up common prepper contact freqs and procedures you could use as well as add your own to the list. I just don't remember off the top of my head what they are (at work right now).

I'd guess for daytime, 20m band will be your best bet. It seems the most reliable for mid-range comms daytime.

I've got some friends that use the FT-857. never heard a peep of anything bad about them.

I have an original IC-706. Not a bad rig IMO.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Austin Rob,

For myself..I prefer the 17 meter band...in the daytime though I seldom use it. I prefer it because it is not as used as 20 meters and therefore not as many people running a lot of power there between 18.068 and 18.168 MHZ. I try to stay off 20 meters. Also ..both myself and my friend have extra class privileges and are also planning to incorporate the use of this section of the band for less crowding...we hope.
    But your point about above 10 MHZ is noted..and I think it will be sound. Thank you for reminding me.

Backpacker 1513,
    I've got some friends that use the FT-857. never heard a peep of anything bad about them.

I have an original IC-706. Not a bad rig IMO.
    I too have a IC 706 MK II and I verily like it. This contact to my friend on various power settings out to Tennessee from here on the Chesapeak Bay was done on my IC 706 Mk II. I am a second owner of this rig and like it very much.

Agree..for what it is ..it is good little rig and saves me a lot of space in my radio shack for the options it brings to the table... so to speak..

Thanks,
    Orangetom

yeah, 17m is usually pretty quiet and almost as open as 20m.

I proposed 20 as you're talking about 160, 80, 40... so your antenna is probably decent on 20m as well without the need for a tuner.

My 706 is a Mark I. No 70cM on it. Yeah it performs pretty well for what it is. Mine was purchased from a Elmer, he bought it new.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

I'm going to try to get radio going in my truck soon. Anybody familiar with the fuse box in a 13 F250? Ran the wires to there through the firewall but not sure what to connect to. I want to bypass all auxiliary power sources and shoot all but straight to the battery.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields