Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get the highest mpg possible out of a vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    I guess that's where a good old paper map comes in. I wondered if maybe backroads might be the ticket. The relative went down and loaded a Uhaul trailer with the whole downstairs of a house on Jamaica Beach, the not seawall part of Galveston. His brother was PD there and had to stay. He came off the island and turned on I 10 W and went bumper to bumper. Seems like maybe backroads is the answer.
    Any major road heading out of the Houston area was jammed packed. I had a paper map and from Bryan to Buffalo the back roads took about an hour and a half. From Buffalo to Dallas took 6 hours. I never ran out of fuel and I never used the gas cans in the bed of the truck. This is because I shut the truck off on top of hills and coasted down the other side. We were only averaging a mile or two an hour.

My original plan was to take highway 79 through Buffalo to Jacksonville and then take highway 69 north to Greenville where I was then going to pick up highway 380. I would have saved a lot of time if I would have stuck to my original plan. The only problem is when I got to Buffalo, all lanes of I45 were going north and they all were running at normal highway speeds. Once you get on to I45, there are no service roads so there was no way to get back, and the police had all exits blocked off. This is why I now keep a working CB radio in my car.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

I did a smart highway gig for Florida DOT about 10 years ago, studied Rita as a part of that.
    For those who might be unfamiliar here are a few pics of the traffic, really astounding, but keep in mind that any disaster for any large city will look like this and that's why it is so critical to panic early, LOL:

But this one is the money pic. Many miles North of the coast. Notice they have initiated contraflow with all vehicles going North. Look at that secondary road to the left. Lightly traveled and room to pull around any disabled vehicle. No guard rails to trap you on an Interstate.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Putting the system to defrost? Is that something new? I've never owned a vehicle with that feature that I'm aware of............. 50+ mpg not on two wheels is great! There's just something about having power in reserve that I can't sacrifice. I've only owned one car in my life and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough lol.
    Defrost, defog, whatever YOU call it when the climate control system blows on the windshield.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

Yeah, always just thought of it as directing the air to the windshield to the temperature I set. Apparently different manuf. Along the years go about it different ways. I've always had full-size trucks and SUVs with big engines, don't really notice the A/C compressor or worry much about mpg. Learn something new everyday!
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Yeah, always just thought of it as directing the air to the windshield to the temperature I set. Apparently different manuf. Along the years go about it different ways. I've always had full-size trucks and SUVs with big engines, don't really notice the A/C compressor or worry much about mpg. Learn something new everyday!
    On the older vehicles, you can set the air to blow on the windshield but turn the fan off. This will typically prevent the a/c compressor from kicking on but will direct air to "leak" out of the vents when you are driving if the controls are set to freshoutside air instead of recirculate. You can do the same thing when you set the air to blow out of the vents but leave the fan turned off. In the winter time you can turn the temp knob to heat, outside fresh air selected, and the fan turned off but you will still get heat out of the vents.

Gentlemen,

To my limited knowledge the tire pressure is one of the biggest factors in fuel economy. Adjusted for the load you are carrying. I am constantly surprised at how many people never think to check this out on their vehicles at any time.

Juggling your tire pressure under certain conditions might be a help in getting where you need to go..and or increasing your gas mileage under certain conditions.
    You might not be so concerned about tire lifespan but merely getting to your destination...fuel economy...wherein fuel is a expensive and rare commodity.

Just a thought.

Clean battery posts means your alternator is not working that hard...every little bit helps. So few people ever bother to check their battery condition...in like manner to tire pressure.

Yes...I understand the OP's position on windows for venting..verses running the AC compressor.

I too have lowered my windows at speed and turned off the fan and also the AC.

And yes..in my older vehicles...heat will come out of the vents by adjusting the system and not running the fan...once the engine is heated and stabilized.

Explo72,

Those photos you have posted of the traffic jam on the interstates.....Wow!!!!

I know I am oft want to use/misuse this expression but Wow!! Talk about "Herd Mentality." That was my first thought when viewing your photos.

It is the same here in Virginia on this Peninsula...the interstates are designed to flow traffic both ways by shutting down one side and redirecting it to go the other way in an emergency situation.

I would dred being caught in such a traffic snare with the "Herd." There would always be some family who never prepares for anything but tonight's television program or game and would run dry or breakdown...and thus block everyone.

I too would be searching for another way around the "Herd." Lord what a nightmare.!!!

My worst experience to date with something like that has been getting stuck on that Washington DC bypass traffic at 5 pm on a Friday night on a holiday weekend. Good grief...was that ever a bad decision to go with that woman to Pennsylvania and leave the time we did. I've not repeated this experience since.
    That is one big reason I prefer working the back shifts ...I can get things done and or travel, if I must, while others are running their daywalker schedules.

Just looking at those pictures Explo72...gives me the shudders. Yes....I would be looking hard at that side road in the photo...and never getting on the interstate.

Thanks to all for their posts on this topic,

Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 03-06-2017 at 06:56 AM.

There are only two ways to ensure the AC compressor never draws power from the engine.

1. Take the belts off.

2. Remove it.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Kind of a fun project in vehicles with serpentine belts !

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    Gentlemen,

To my limited knowledge the tire pressure is one of the biggest factors in fuel economy. Adjusted for the load you are carrying. I am constantly surprised at how many people never think to check this out on their vehicles at any time.

Juggling your tire pressure under certain conditions might be a help in getting where you need to go..and or increasing your gas mileage under certain conditions.
    You might not be so concerned about tire lifespan but merely getting to your destination...fuel economy...wherein fuel is a expensive and rare commodity.

Just a thought.

Clean battery posts means your alternator is not working that hard...every little bit helps. So few people ever bother to check their battery condition...in like manner to tire pressure.

Yes...I understand the OP's position on windows for venting..verses running the AC compressor.

I too have lowered my windows at speed and turned off the fan and also the AC.

And yes..in my older vehicles...heat will come out of the vents by adjusting the system and not running the fan...once the engine is heated and stabilized.

Explo72,

Those photos you have posted of the traffic jam on the interstates.....Wow!!!!

I know I am oft want to use/misuse this expression but Wow!! Talk about "Herd Mentality." That was my first thought when viewing your photos.

It is the same here in Virginia on this Peninsula...the interstates are designed to flow traffic both ways by shutting down one side and redirecting it to go the other way in an emergency situation.

I would dred being caught in such a traffic snare with the "Herd." There would always be some family who never prepares for anything but tonight's television program or game and would run dry or breakdown...and thus block everyone.

I too would be searching for another way around the "Herd." Lord what a nightmare.!!!

My worst experience to date with something like that has been getting stuck on that Washington DC bypass traffic at 5 pm on a Friday night on a holiday weekend. Good grief...was that ever a bad decision to go with that woman to Pennsylvania and leave the time we did. I've not repeated this experience since.
    That is one big reason I prefer working the back shifts ...I can get things done and or travel, if I must, while others are running their daywalker schedules.

Just looking at those pictures Explo72...gives me the shudders. Yes....I would be looking hard at that side road in the photo...and never getting on the interstate.

Thanks to all for their posts on this topic,

Orangetom
    I was stuck in that traffic so I can attest to what really happened. There are very few service roads on I45. Some of the service roads you can't even see from the interstate as there are berms separating the two. There was also a large police presence at every exit preventing people from getting off of the interstate.

There was one guy in a lifted 80s model Chevy 4x4 truck that was flying down the grass median going way too fast and making a lot of noise. I witnessed people honking at this guy, and it looked like at one point someone threw something at the guy. Sometimes it is advantageous to get away from the crowd while there are times when it is better to lower your hat and blend in while always having an evacuation route.

Everyone was on edge. I had several friends that evacuated together with their RVs and they had to pull rifles out in order to protect each other when they stopped to refill their tanks from gas cans they brought. And they stayed off of the main highways. Except for living through hurricane Alicia in the early 80s, this was the closest thing to a true SHTF event that I had ever been in, and I voluntarily but myself in that situation. It was a good learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    Kind of a fun project in vehicles with serpentine belts !
    Sometimes you can get a shorter belt and just bypass the compressor. Or, the easiest way is to unplug the electrical connector on the a/c compressor clutch.