Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to get the highest mpg possible out of a vehicle

Putting the system to defrost? Is that something new? I've never owned a vehicle with that feature that I'm aware of............. 50+ mpg not on two wheels is great! There's just something about having power in reserve that I can't sacrifice. I've only owned one car in my life and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough lol.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Too much to remember, printing this for the GHB. I've noticed on our Ford trucks that they go into 6th/overdrive at just about 50 MPH, that's their sweet spot for the best MPG. Thanks for the tip on the emissions/limp mode.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Putting the system to defrost? Is that something new? I've never owned a vehicle with that feature that I'm aware of............. 50+ mpg not on two wheels is great! There's just something about having power in reserve that I can't sacrifice. I've only owned one car in my life and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough lol.
    Some cars automatically engage the A/C when you put the vents on windshield defrost. Ours does, but you can also click the A/C to turn it off while leaving it in defrost.

Quote Originally Posted by jdh View Post
    I can easily get 700+ from the 12.6 gallon tank in my Cruze CTD without much effort. Some drivers can push it over 900 miles to a tank.

Just turning off the AC does NOT keep the compressor from running. Putting the system to defrost will run the AC compressor to help dehumidify the air.

Open windows can reduce economy by around 20% by increasing drag.
    that's why I said only open them 1". By lowering the windows that tiny bit you do get a small increase in drag but it is not as much of a drain on fuel economy as turning the a/c on.

Last summer I traded in a 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage. The best mpg for an entire tank on that car was 53 mpg. That number was achieved in the summer with the windows on one side cracked open 1". There is a guy who added some aerodynamic improvements and got a little over 70 mpg!
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

So, do I dump my 100 gallon aux diesel tank from the bed to gain mileage, or keep it topped for range? Decisions.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

filled.
    when we lived in S Florida and were searching for a BOL in E TN, I bought a 80 gal bed tank for the 2006 Chevy SD.
    It would get about 16 mpg cruising the interstate.
    That one topped off with 20 gallons or more in the internal tank it gave us plenty of range 1,000+ miles.
    My goal was to have enough on board fuel to make the trip without stopping - about 13 hours.
    The thing ended up paying for itself in a way, diesel in Columbia SC was about 25c per gallon cheaper than in Fl.
    So in normal conditions we would plan so we would fill it up there saving about $30 each way on fuel cost.
    I got the tank on craigslist for $100.
    Really nice peace of mind to know you can go from anywhere you might be to the BOL to without having to stop.
    We knew that from S FL to get out of harms way was many hours so the fastest we could get out of FL was the key.

Now that we are bugged out, I have it sitting by my diesel genny and I use it to refuel my diesel tractor and the 2600HD and yes using on road diesel which I get every Wed 30 cents off at my grocery fuel pumps. That allows me to rotate.

Yea, in addition to having it for range, I always fuel my son and SIL truck and Polaris and tractor at ranch. The days of large storage tank at the ranch or farm are over with this ethanol crap. I have mine illegally plumbed into the fill neck of the truck stock tank, but it drains too slow. Easier to stop and fill with the 15 gpm pump.

I don't think I will ever have the situation, but family in Galveston, Tx had close calls with fuel during the evacuation for Rita right after Katrina. I don't want to go there.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    So, do I dump my 100 gallon aux diesel tank from the bed to gain mileage, or keep it topped for range? Decisions.
    I say keep it topped off too. It won't hurt your mileage very much due to the weight but it will sure give you plenty of extra range.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    Yea, in addition to having it for range, I always fuel my son and SIL truck and Polaris and tractor at ranch. The days of large storage tank at the ranch or farm are over with this ethanol crap. I have mine illegally plumbed into the fill neck of the truck stock tank, but it drains too slow. Easier to stop and fill with the 15 gpm pump.

I don't think I will ever have the situation, but family in Galveston, Tx had close calls with fuel during the evacuation for Rita right after Katrina. I don't want to go there.
    I got caught in that traffic jam during the Rita evacuation. I had taken supplies down to my family who are never prepared and I turned around to head back. Was making good time by not following the sheep until I deviated from my original plan by turning on to I45 in Buffalo. Sheep had their cars running the entire time and were not even trying to save fuel. It got pretty tense for a bit when people started running out of fuel while I had 10 gallons of fuel in the bed of my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    I got caught in that traffic jam during the Rita evacuation. I had taken supplies down to my family who are never prepared and I turned around to head back. Was making good time by not following the sheep until I deviated from my original plan by turning on to I45 in Buffalo. Sheep had their cars running the entire time and were not even trying to save fuel. It got pretty tense for a bit when people started running out of fuel while I had 10 gallons of fuel in the bed of my truck.
    I guess that's where a good old paper map comes in. I wondered if maybe backroads might be the ticket. The relative went down and loaded a Uhaul trailer with the whole downstairs of a house on Jamaica Beach, the not seawall part of Galveston. His brother was PD there and had to stay. He came off the island and turned on I 10 W and went bumper to bumper. Seems like maybe backroads is the answer.