Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: How to get the highest mpg possible out of a vehicle

Yesterday we drove 9 hours straight in our new truck. I drive for the first 6 hours (man they make these new trucks REALLY comfortable for long drives!) and while we were in Texas, I was driving at least 5 mph over the speed limit. Once we got out of the state, I kept it at the speed limit. At the end of 6 hours, we had stopped 3 times, averaged 65 mph, and was averaging 22.4 mpg. I'm VERY happy with that since a lot of time in Texas was spent at 80 mph.

Over the last couple of weeks I have played around to see at what speed gives the best fuel economy. Well, in this truck (crew cab, 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed automatic, 3.21 gears, and 4 wheel drive) the highest fuel economy comes while cruising at 45 mph. That fuel economy is 30 mpg! So with a 26 gallon tank, that gives a range of 720 miles.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Load it like a bug out scenario, then you'll know for sure.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I took a short (about 30 miles) highway drive today and I had extra time, so I decided to see what kind of gas mileage I could get out of our truck without going too slow on the interstate. The truck is a 2017 Ram half ton crew cab 4X4 with the hemi v8. At the end up the trip the gauge cluster showed 25.9 mpg!

I got this mpg by implementing a lot of the techniques I described earlier in this thread. I maintained a constant 60-65 mph without using cruise control.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

That's good mileage for a PU with V8
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13