Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: How to get the highest mpg possible out of a vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by jdh View Post
    I can easily get 700+ from the 12.6 gallon tank in my Cruze CTD without much effort. Some drivers can push it over 900 miles to a tank.

Just turning off the AC does NOT keep the compressor from running. Putting the system to defrost will run the AC compressor to help dehumidify the air.

Open windows can reduce economy by around 20% by increasing drag.
    LOL nice to know 30years later chevy can get same gas milage as my 79 rabbit diesel

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    JDH, you may have already posted, but what vehicle are you driving? 58.5 is pretty sweet.
    This was my first long road trip. City is about 33, mixed city Highway 41ish.

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    Nice! Let me guess. VW TDI?
    Dear Lord no! 2014 Cruze 2.0 L Clean Turbo Diesel.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

I think in a SHTF type of scenario, attempting to get the most miles of of the gas you have, I wouldn't be going 50 mph. I think 35 mph is much more efficient. Slowing down/stopping is the enemy of good gas mileage, and using the brakes normally would be a no no. Look ahead, and coast to stops, stay on the freeway where there are no stop signs.

Quote Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
    I think in a SHTF type of scenario, attempting to get the most miles of of the gas you have, I wouldn't be going 50 mph. I think 35 mph is much more efficient. Slowing down/stopping is the enemy of good gas mileage, and using the brakes normally would be a no no. Look ahead, and coast to stops, stay on the freeway where there are no stop signs.
    It all depends on gearing and aerodynamics as to what speed is best. Sometimes by going really slow it will decrease fuel economy due to being in too low of a gear, too high of an rpm for the speed, and not having enough momentum when you come to a hill.

I had a '91Chevy Cavalier that got better mpg at 80 mph (42 mpg) than it did at 60 mph (35 mpg) due to aerodynamics and gearing. At 60 mph the engine was cruising below its peak torque and you had to get on the throttle a lot for any small hill. At 80 mph, the engine was right at its peak torque. Combine that with the momentum, aerodynamics, and fuel economy was really good.

Recently there was an article of a guy that took a Dodge 1/2 ton truck with the 3.0L diesel and tried to go 1,000 miles on one tank of fuel. Well, he did it with averaging 37 mpg if I remember right. He did this by cruising at 52 mph because this was the slowest he could go in top gear.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

We just took our first road trip in our new truck. The truck is a 2017 Ram 1500 crew cab 4X4 with the Hemi.

I was really shocked as I was expecting 23 mpg if I was taking it really easy. Well, with taking it easy I was able to get 25.5 mpg! Bumping the speed up from 65 mph to 70 to 75 mph only lowered it down to 23 mpg. Then we got some MAJOR traffic (it took 45 minutes to drive 17 miles) and had mileage went down to 22 mpg.

So I'm pleased. The truck only has a 26 gallon fuel tank (I wanted the optional 32 gallon tank) but even so, this gives a realistic range of 500 miles. After we get the running boards and bed cover I'll try again to see what it can get.

That's good mileage Cav. I've been tweaking my habits in my truck recently. I have gotten it from 16/16.5 up to 18.5 just by driving habits. And yep traffic is a major blow to mileage.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Another factor that can play heavily is the tune of your car, and the general shape of your rotating stock. Pump tires up to, or slightly exceed the reccomended air pressure for less rolling resistance. Keep the wheel bearings in good shape, dragging brakes from a sticking brake caliper can really effect mileage also. Keep your car waxed/clean so it slips through the air.

Yeah a dirty vehicle has lots of drag
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by Ready 4 reset View Post
    Yeah a dirty vehicle has lots of drag
    Myth Busters tested this theory by covering a car with clay and putting golf ball size dimples in the clay. It actually improved the gas mileage!

I know driving close to a big rig will greatly improve mileage but they don't usually appreciate you following so close.

Myth Busters was a cool show. I did learn that driving with the ac on instead of windows open on a highway gets better mpg's. less drag.
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge