Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to get the highest mpg possible out of a vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    There was one guy in a lifted 80s model Chevy 4x4 truck that was flying down the grass median going way too fast and making a lot of noise. I witnessed people honking at this guy, and it looked like at one point someone threw something at the guy. Sometimes it is advantageous to get away from the crowd while there are times when it is better to lower your hat and blend in while always having an evacuation route.

Everyone was on edge. I had several friends that evacuated together with their RVs and they had to pull rifles out in order to protect each other when they stopped to refill their tanks from gas cans they brought. And they stayed off of the main highways. Except for living through hurricane Alicia in the early 80s, this was the closest thing to a true SHTF event that I had ever been in, and I voluntarily but myself in that situation. It was a good learning experience.
    These two points right here are why I like my 4x4 fullsize truck and want multiple interior fuel tanks. 4x4 means I can get damn near anywhere even if that means going around people, fullsize gives me room for storage and spreading out a little, and interior tanks will give me over 1k in range without even indicating to others that anything is out of the ordinary (anything beyond the stock 25 gallon tank).

Quote Originally Posted by Daelith View Post
    These two points right here are why I like my 4x4 fullsize truck and want multiple interior fuel tanks. 4x4 means I can get damn near anywhere even if that means going around people, fullsize gives me room for storage and spreading out a little, and interior tanks will give me over 1k in range without even indicating to others that anything is out of the ordinary (anything beyond the stock 25 gallon tank).
    My point was the way the guy did it made him a huge target. He made a lot of people mad, but not because he was driving in the median as a lot of people were. People were getting mad at him for blasting by everyone at a high rate of speed and since his truck was very loud, everyone could hear him coming. If this was in fact a major SHTF event, he would have been shot at. If you have the ability to fly by everyone, you need to try to keep as low of a profile as possible. Don't let it be known what your capability is (OPSEC) and don't announce your presence.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Yes, silence is golden......
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

My family and I took a trip out of town today in her 2016 Honda Pilot. It is rated for 27 mpg on the highway and that is what it typically gets with the cruise control running things. So today I employed some of the techniques I pointed out in the first post. After 27 miles, this SUV was averaging 40.2 mpg! With a 19 gallon fuel tank this would give roughly a 760 mile range.

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    Kind of a fun project in vehicles with serpentine belts !
    Ain't it though. But it can be done. Had to find an AC delete pulley kit that replaced the compressor for the on the 6.5 diesel race engine project.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

Over the weekend I had the pleasure of driving a new Dodge Charger R/T. So after I played around a bit (400 hp is fun!) I implemented the techniques to see how high I could get the fuel economy. With averaging 60-65 mph at the end of the trip the gauge cluster showed 32.8 mpg.

Practice now while you have time to do it. If you can improve the fuel economy of your vehicle by 2 mpg, that is an extra 40 miles on a 20 gallon tank. 40 miles is a ways if you are doing it on foot.

btw, the owner of the Charger has been averaging 19 mpg and she drives it like an old lady, because she is one! So I was able to get 13 mpg better than what she averages. On a 19 gallon fuel tank, that is an extra 247 miles!
    Last edited by 91CavGT; 04-05-2017 at 08:02 AM.

In my opinion, most people drive like idiots, don't look ahead for slowdowns, accelerate hard, run fast, and burn many lights while doing it. I tend to let the car coast as long as possible, accelerate smoothly, keep my speed down, and look down the road for upcoming issues. Don't get me wrong, my daily driver is a 2004 Mustang GT, along with a 99 powerstroke 7.3 L diesel F250. I get better mileage than most who drive these vehicles.

The point of this thread is to get people to practice these techniques while they can and learn how to do it. So when the day comes when you really need to conserve every drop of fuel, you will know what to do.

Ever since this thread started I have been trying different things with my f350 6.7 diesel. Smooth and steady from the start makes a huge difference. I am also careful not to utilize the turbo too much. Pulling a 20ft trailer loaded I was able to get 16mpg between highway and secondary roads. Without a trailer I have been able to get 20mpg or more on the highway. Still working on it and hope to bypass 25mpg.

I am thinking of installing a larger tank to replace the factory tank. Since I have a short bed I only have a 27gal tank. Titan makes one that is 50gal that firs my truck. Very expensive but I like the idea of being able to have much more fuel.
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

It's funny that you mention larger fuel tanks. Once we get some bills paid off, it is my turn to get a vehicles that is not a cheap cash car. I've been looking at trucks and have been paying attention to the size of the fuel tanks. I came across Titan's website the other day and now have to decide, based on the availability of large tanks, what is my best option.

My grandfather had a 2004 3/4 ton quad cab Dodge truck with the Hemi in it and I was able to get 23.25 mpg(hand calculated) out of it one time. I don't think 25 mpg is out of the relm of possibility, especially with a diesel truck. The big key with good mpg with trucks is to slow down. It's easier said than done though.