Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hotel/rental car GHB improvisations

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

I'll be crossing Nebraska, not gonna work Winni lol Might be able to build a tactical wheelbarrow using the donut spare when I run out of gas though.

The spring out of the toilet paper roll holder, might be good for building a snare but probably not going to stick around in any one place long enough to wait to catch something. Can't think of anything else it might be good for, but springs are often handy to have. Less hotels seem to have phone books in the rooms anymore, but extra TP or fire starting material if they had one. There's that other book that's always there, but that just seems too wrong.

The hotel chain I like to stay at has 1" metal tubing they use for the shelf in the closet and for the fold out suitcase holder thing. Not sure what metal tubing would be good for?
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

contingency list with associated check list of shopping / scavenging items.

cause you have hours to think about it now.
    and cause you won't think clearly in an emergency.

assuming you have your get home / bug out bag with you (or at least what parts you could have brought on the plane).
    So for sure a water purification device, canteen / water bladder, fire started, multi tool, etc etc

for some hypothetical examples:
    - tornado warning issued: emphasis on flashlights, batteries, short term non cook food.
    - anarchists planning protest close by: swimming goggles, bandana or other means to cover mouth / nose
    - ice storm predicted: long underwear, boot socks, hand warmers

I just posted a thread in the transportation subforum.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

when you rent a car, you might want to do an internet search and see out of the options you have, which one has the largest fuel tank and is a 4 cylinder.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    contingency list with associated check list of shopping / scavenging items.

cause you have hours to think about it now.
    and cause you won't think clearly in an emergency.

assuming you have your get home / bug out bag with you (or at least what parts you could have brought on the plane).
    So for sure a water purification device, canteen / water bladder, fire started, multi tool, etc etc

for some hypothetical examples:
    - tornado warning issued: emphasis on flashlights, batteries, short term non cook food.
    - anarchists planning protest close by: swimming goggles, bandana or other means to cover mouth / nose
    - ice storm predicted: long underwear, boot socks, hand warmers
    First point is a good one, don't want to get 100 miles into the trip and have an AwwSh*t moment when you realize you forgot something important. On the GHB contents, there is never enough room. Have 6 tons (exaggeration maybe) of survival gear/supplies, pick 5 pounds of it to put in the GHB.

Gasoline containers, anyone have any thoughts on the best/easiest to find while out on the road? Trash cans/recycle bins for plastic soda bottles is about the only thing I can come up with. I recall trying to use a milk jug for carrying a little gasoline once in my youth and it almost instantly disintegrated, thinking just about any soda bottle would probably be OK for storage for a couple days though? Anything larger or better, or a particular recycling code to look for or avoid? Should have thought of it before, but I'm going to start putting any empty soda/water containers in the trunk of the rental car instead of throwing them away. I always hit a grocery store on arrival and buy Gator/Power Aid and keep the empties in a drawer in the room but usually just throw others away after use, might as well put them in the trunk.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

I would certainly test the container with the gas before putting it in the trunk only to find out it dissolved and absorbed into the trunk carpet. Try some containers out at home and see which ones survive.

don't want to get 100 miles into the trip and have an AwwSh*t moment when you realize you forgot something important
    , yep and that happens to me all too frequently even when i am not stressed or pressed for time.

On the GHB contents, there is never enough room
    LOL, that's for sure. Even more problematic when you have to get it thru TSA.

I always hit a grocery store on arrival and buy Gator/Power Aid and keep the empties in a drawer in the room but usually just throw others away after use, might as well put them in the trunk.
    Same here.

Assuming you are going to purchase fuel at a working station (dubious assumption only likely early in a disaster), they often have small fuel cans for sale. If you are scavenging (siphon) then I would think a 5 gallon bucket would work and you might be able to snatch one of those at your hotel. Siphon into the bucket, then siphon into your vehicle.

But I just wonder how many abandoned vehicles with fuel in them there are going to be in a disaster. One thing comes to mind might be small engine repair shops / lawn & garden types. There would probably be some containers and a bit of fuel there.

one other thing is to take advantage of friends on this board.
    I have made a few trips that exceeded the un refueled range of my vehicle.
    I posted my general itinerary and asked for any members on this board to PM me if they would serve as a potential BOL during my trip.

You would be surprised at the response.
    Of course it helps to have a persona on the board so that people have a good read on you from your previous posts and have a measure of the level of prepper and person you are.

Lurkers need not apply.

I would even let Al drop by my retreat - long as he doesn't bring any space aliens or lizzard people with him

and I will throw this out there, if you are near the Great Smoky Mountains park or traveling I81 in Upper East TN and want a BOL or just meet for coffee, send me a PM

For portable fuel in a pinch, how about some sort of plastic bag that you can tie at the top inside the hotel room garbage can?

Joe - NY

I rarely travel via plane or rail. I prefer my own vehicle as I am sure most of you do. Looking into adding a 100gal transfer tank to my truck. I was considering upgrading the fuel tank as well but can't justify the cost. If I did upgrade the fuel tank I would have the ability to carry 150 gallons of diesel. That sounds great but just isn't in the budget.
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge