Thread: Etamsylate, Tranexamic acid, and/or Yunnan Baiyao for the SHTF pharmacy?

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Default Etamsylate, Tranexamic acid, and/or Yunnan Baiyao for the SHTF pharmacy?

As I understand it - Etamsylate promotes blood clotting through coagulation, Tranexamic Acid inhibits the process your body uses to break up blood clots (an antifibrinolytic), and Yunnan Baiyao is an herb which may have some use in stopping internal bleeding (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3992384/) although the mechanism doesn't seem to be understood yet.

Tranexamic Acid at least has had a lot of recent studies done, and seems to be recommended for combat injuries where a lot of blood has been lost. Also saw a study recommending it for rural injuries where transport time to a hospital is longer. IV is the preferred route but it's sold in oral tablet form too. The studies make it sound like a wonder-drug of sorts, reducing mortality in nearly every case of severe bleeding if given within 3 hours. That assumes surgery though, not just the drug. The other two I've never seen recommended for EMT/combat medic use.

Guess I'm thinking of its use more in trauma that caused internal bleeding or maybe postpartum bleeding after the SHTF. Any thoughts from the pros on this? Are there (m)any realistic scenarios where these alone might be curative/life-saving (without surgery)?
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

I can see the need at times, but hemotoxin from snakebite coagulates blood and can kill you. Sounds like something that requires close monitoring and a reversal handy.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

I'm done with snakebite discussions. lol

This question came up after researching someone's suggestion for a combat pill pack - Moxifloxacin, Tramadol, and Etamsylate. One thing led to another while looking into the Etamsylate and found the studies on Tranexamic Acid (on the WHO Essential Meds list btw). Figured Tranexamic Acid wouldn't be available in oral form, but it was. Then figured it wouldn't be a drug that could be readily absorbed under the tongue to avoid the GI route (and get it onboard quicker), but it was. Then figured it probably wouldn't be available from my usual Indian pharmacy, but it was (and cheap). Then started wondering if this (or the others) were really something worth having if the SHTF. Blunt trauma to the abdomen, crush injury to a leg, something like that that breaks a lot of blood vessels internally.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.