Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got a bad report from my doctor

Default Got a bad report from my doctor

A little background info first to better understand what is going on. I got discharged from the Army in 95 due to problems with my left foot. Fast forward to 2007 and I started having big problems with my right knee. After seeing 5 doctors and none of them having a clue as to what was going on, the 6th doctor found my left foot was causing my knee pain. In 2011 I had the first of what would be 5 foot surgeries.

So here lately, my left foot has been giving me a lot of problems so I went back to my foot doctor. After examining my foot and x rays she tells me there is nothing more that she can do to help me. Then she tells me she is referring me to see a neurologist as all of my recent(in the last 5 years) problems are being caused from nerve issues. She tells me if the neurologist can't figure out what is going on, and reverse the problem then it is a matter of time before I loose total control over my foot.

So, this has motivated me to reevaluate my preps and to see if there is something I can do .now that will help me out a lot in the future. In the meantime, it is a huge punch to my gut to hear that I am slowly loosing control of my foot and the problems associated with it will only be getting worse.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Well that truly sucks. Hope the neurologist has better news for ya Cav.

Might look into handicapped laws for Texas? In my state those with handicaps can use ORVs where they aren't otherwise allowed like any State and Fed forest and park trails, and can hunt from vehicles. Small consolations, but maybe something in the law(s) will give you an idea for making the best of it preparedness-wise.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

You may want to give acupuncture a try. I have seen amazing results on a friend of mine. I also have had success with back problems. The acupuncturist breaks down the old scar tissue and increases blood flow to the area. My friend had 7 knee operations and was in pain 24 hours a day. They even removed her knee cap and she was still in pain. She is no longer in pain following the acupuncture.

91CavGT,

You have brought up a good point here. I have a similar issue going in with my knees as I get older. I definitely need to be revaluating my preps with this new factor in mind.
    Thanks for getting me jump started in this aspect.

Orangetom

I can only imagine what that might be like, to know your losing a part of your freedom and mobility slowly. Prayers for quick healing and strength. Thank you for your service and sacrifice. This way you have time to prepare and to search out different options, best of wishes for you.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I started looking yesterday for a folding bicycle that can fit in the trunk of my car. I have a mobility scooter that I upgraded the battery pack from 12 amp/hr to 20 amp/hr but I may see if I can increase that even more and see about making a quick disconnect harness so I can use my solar setup to recharge the batteries. I'm also going to have to sell my small tool box and get one that is lower and easier to get to all of the drawers.

My wife and I talked last night about really focusing on paying some bills off while I can still work. My wife then told me after I told her what the doc said that she was thinking about looking into selling our 2 story house and looking at a 1 story house. Either having one built or modifying an existing house to be wheel chair accessible.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Exposure to some odd a$$ chemical comes to mind, but it is a knee jerk reaction (pun not intended). Best wishes.

Thank y'all for the thoughts and prayers. I am a spiritual man and here lately my family and I have been under attack from satan due to all that I do for the Lord. What satan doesn't realize is regardless of what happens to me here on earth, I know what happens in the end and I already know that satan will loose!

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    Exposure to some odd a$$ chemical comes to mind, but it is a knee jerk reaction (pun not intended). Best wishes.
    Well, I did work for several years as a mechanic. Carb cleaner, brake cleaner, greese, oil, gas, and diesel are just a few of the chemicals that I would come in contact with on a daily basis with no protection against any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    I started looking yesterday for a folding bicycle that can fit in the trunk of my car. I have a mobility scooter that I upgraded the battery pack from 12 amp/hr to 20 amp/hr but I may see if I can increase that even more and see about making a quick disconnect harness so I can use my solar setup to recharge the batteries. I'm also going to have to sell my small tool box and get one that is lower and easier to get to all of the drawers.

My wife and I talked last night about really focusing on paying some bills off while I can still work. My wife then told me after I told her what the doc said that she was thinking about looking into selling our 2 story house and looking at a 1 story house. Either having one built or modifying an existing house to be wheel chair accessible.
    My husband and I have had to look into this as well. Eventually I'm going to be unable to use the stairs, so we've accellerated paying off our house. Lift chairs for stairs cost about $10,000-20,000 per flight of stairs, depending on the type of stairs. If the stairs are straight, with no landings or curves and you've only got one flight of stairs to buy for ($10,000) it may be worth it to modify the house and stay. If you've multiple flights and they have landings and turns like we do it would cost $60,000 to modify ours to stay. Definitely not worth staying for us, so the goal is pay off the house, clean/fix it up, and move before I need a wheelchair.