Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone gonna buy a Government Humvee?

Default Anyone gonna buy a Government Humvee?

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Been selling em for a few years.

Minimum bid was around 5k.

Use to the gov didnt offer a sf97, which allowed for titling but hear from the guys thats changed. Havent been on auction in a few years.

Bare bones trucks great for wheeling. If you watch find one that went to rebuild where they pulled the 6.2l motors out for newer 6.5l. Better motor lil more power.

Know a guy in TN who puts duramaxs in them things, not easy fit, but way more fun, hammering down on it.

If you can get some speed up ya can drift the light skins, shacking the azz end around. Lot of fun in iraq with em. Pit maneuvers with the right bumper.

Like the uparmored saved my bacon a few times but had a few who didnt make it thru all that.

I wish. But something to keep in mind for those things: for the 80s and early 90s, the 6.2/6.5L engines had block issues and a lack of power (don't mash the pedal, you'll destroy the engine). As in 55mph top speed and good luck up the hills levels of power. The independent suspension on them is also no where near maintenance-free, and parts are pricey.

Still wish I could grab one as an offroad toy though.

Naw man, get a good mechanic to turn the pump up wake that detroit up.

Yea a arm bushings n hubs can get pricey but no more exspensive than certain other vehicles out there.

If ya have your own shop n tools it be a lil more cost effective.

I think it would be a great vehicle if it weren't for the maintenance concerns.

I heard from somebody that used to drive one that they are heavy on maintenance and are not easy to work on.

Now, to be fair, this guy was a bit of a hot head and I have no idea who mechanically inclined he is, but he is as close as I have been to any experience with them and do not know anybody else who has used them.

Now, if I could get my hands on an old M151 jeep, that I have first hand experience with and would be all over that!

Al, that works alright with the later blocks because they've been reinforced, but the design doesn't handle it as well as something like a Cummins 6BT. I would not turn up anything prior to 2000. I would be doubly sure not to turn up the '96 to '00 blocks due to the infamous #8 cylinder crack issues (I'd avoid those all together unless you know they've been swapped with a later block, or plan to do so yourself). Also, if you get the earlier models you should swap for the later water pump. The change from 70gpm to 130gpm (?) really makes a difference in cooling. With the weaker pump it's very easy to overheat the engine, particularly going up a grade. For the love of all that's holy get an exhaust temp gauge if you have a turbo. Exhaust temps have no problem skyrocketing and cooking the turbo.

TAC00, they are amazing machines if you take care of them. Definitely not a low-maintenance daily driver.

How much of a POA is the "end use certificate "?

Quote Originally Posted by Daelith View Post
    Al, that works alright with the later blocks because they've been reinforced, but the design doesn't handle it as well as something like a Cummins 6BT. I would not turn up anything prior to 2000. I would be doubly sure not to turn up the '96 to '00 blocks due to the infamous #8 cylinder crack issues (I'd avoid those all together unless you know they've been swapped with a later block, or plan to do so yourself). Also, if you get the earlier models you should swap for the later water pump. The change from 70gpm to 130gpm (?) really makes a difference in cooling. With the weaker pump it's very easy to overheat the engine, particularly going up a grade. For the love of all that's holy get an exhaust temp gauge if you have a turbo. Exhaust temps have no problem skyrocketing and cooking the turbo.

TAC00, they are amazing machines if you take care of them. Definitely not a low-maintenance daily driver.
    O i agree, thats why mentioned find one that went thru rebuild with a later model block.

But again, if its just a run thru the woods truck, go to the junk yard get a late model 6.5l, put in on a stand for just incase, turn the pump up in the truck n go have fun. The light skins are pretty danm capable offroad.

Ball joints n toe, need to be checked unless ya like buying tires as well.

Again if ya have the shop n equipment you could fab a set off upgraded a arms n press in bushing, thought they had a company that built these for the offroad community, probably pricey, but its kinda bite the bullet n be done.

The hubs can be pricey, make sure ya check fluid often.

These are not luxury vehicles by any means, bare bones nothing, so a good set of seats may be a great upgrade.

Also if ya like playing n have time, changing over from 2dr to 4 dr or half back to cab over, is all pretty easy to get done. It either unbolts or pop n rivet.

Know a guy also in TN who taught a high school shop class that would literally rebuild these trucks in class. Not the same as the duramax guy. Use to deliver these rebuilds to raytheon for different projects they were working on.

Talking Texas here. I have a friend that owns a surplus business , he deals in these things all the time and getting one licensed in Texas for highway use can be a PITA, He has done many ,on several types of military surplus vehicles and the last three have taken 2 to 3 trips to the proper agency in Houston trying to get things done to make them happy, He said a lot depends on the people you have to deal with and their knowledge of what you are trying to get done.
    also other than engine and transmission , some parts are hard to get these days for civilians ( surplus parts seldom sold in single units). I sold my 96 H1 4 door civilian model, for that very reason. although there are a couple of companies now that rebuild humvees and sell them with some kind of usable title. Midwest military equipment is one I see on FB alot.
    Last edited by jnr0104; 02-27-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jnr0104 View Post
    Talking Texas here. I have a friend that owns a surplus business , he deals in these things all the time and getting one licensed in Texas for highway use can be a PITA, He has done many ,on several types of military surplus vehicles and the last three have taken 2 to 3 trips to the proper agency in Houston trying to get things done to make them happy, He said a lot depends on the people you have to deal with and their knowledge of what you are trying to get done.
    also other than engine and transmission , some parts are hard to get these days for civilians ( surplus parts seldom sold in single units). I sold my 96 H1 4 door civilian model, for that very reason. although there are a couple of companies now that rebuild humvees and sell them with some kind of usable title. Midwest military equipment is one I see on FB alot.
    You need one with a SF97, form for title.

Many have been released without, over the years. Some states wouldnt let ya but some would as a rebuild or kit car type title.

The sf97 is the only way to go without problems. Have had over 20 trucks in my yard from cucvs to deuces to 5tons to heavy equipment, no sf97 its for parts.