Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LED bulbs

Default LED bulbs

Putting this into General because I really don't think it fits anyplace else....

So, does anybody have any experience with LED bulbs in extreme temperatures?

I guess we really do not get "extreme" temps here by some standards, but we do occasionally get down into the negative degrees during the winter, never much below -10 that I can recall, and highs during the summer of a little over 100, once or twice a year.

I am looking at LED bulbs throughout the house and wondering about them for outside. Anybody have any idea how well they will hold up to these temp ranges.

Thanks.

I run leds in my truck and have had no issues. However I know it isn't the same as what you are asking. The build quality is important. The crap from china may be cheaper but is less likely to last very long. I run leds inside and have had no issues.

Great question as I am looking to add led lights outside as well.
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

Better than fluorescents, mine haven't let me down yet.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Do like leds, they draw less power. Never had any problems out of any in cold or heat. Do wonder about effectiveness in certain solar weather, n emp type scenarios. Some have really long life spans.

Was out in east colorado first of the year, well below zero but not sure the temp, know in -7 during daylight, havent had any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Alredneck View Post
    Do like leds, they draw less power. Never had any problems out of any in cold or heat. Do wonder about effectiveness in certain solar weather, n emp type scenarios. Some have really long life spans.

Was out in east colorado first of the year, well below zero but not sure the temp, know in -7 during daylight, havent had any problems.
    I've wondered about whether or not they would function in an EMP environment myself. Can't seem to find a lot of info on it one way or the other.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

We run LEDs outside for security lighting. CFL's dim down to barely more than a candle, the LEDs have no noticeable difference in various temps.

I have 2 outdoor LED flood fixtures on motion sensors. It went down to -35 here, and they fired right up every time.

I have one of the cheapo Dollar Tree LED bulbs in my shed. It held all winter in the non-heated portion of the shed.
    Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Nobody owes you anything. You're only entitled to what you worked for.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." - Optimus Prime

Sounds like pretty good fixtures . What brand ?

Quote Originally Posted by TAC00 View Post
    Putting this into General because I really don't think it fits anyplace else....

So, does anybody have any experience with LED bulbs in extreme temperatures?

I guess we really do not get "extreme" temps here by some standards, but we do occasionally get down into the negative degrees during the winter, never much below -10 that I can recall, and highs during the summer of a little over 100, once or twice a year.

I am looking at LED bulbs throughout the house and wondering about them for outside. Anybody have any idea how well they will hold up to these temp ranges.

Thanks.
    I have some older, very inexpensive LED's in my porch lights. They work well enough, except when its REALLY cold (like -30F)....Then they tend to strobe on and off, oddly enough. Not annoying enough to replace them just yet...but I've been told that the newer bulbs work better in cold.
    Good medicine in bad places

I've been slowly changing out my light bulbs to LED, but just in case they don't work after an EMP, I have kept all of the old incandescent bulbs.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best