Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer cam sent me this...

Default Deer cam sent me this...

Now that's 1 deer I can let live!! Lol

IMG_4040.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Hahaha, nice!

I never understood why people want to shoot the biggest buck they can
    Let the really big ones go to breed more and shoot the smaller ones. Besides, the smaller ones are typically better tasting anyway. But I never hunt for sport. I only hunt for the meat.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

We're lucky in our 3 doe/2 buck area. And yup Only for the meat.
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    Hahaha, nice!

I never understood why people want to shoot the biggest buck they can
    Let the really big ones go to breed more and shoot the smaller ones. Besides, the smaller ones are typically better tasting anyway. But I never hunt for sport. I only hunt for the meat.
    Agree with 91CavGT and others here.

It is the same with most fish. When they get too big they are not as tasty as a smaller size. While it may be interesting to down trophy sized fish or deer et al....the more tasty ones tend to be the smaller ones.

The Striped Bass around here..of pan sized.. are more tasty than the big trophy sized.

The trophy sized make for a nice picture..but I put them back and prefer a certain pan sized fish for eating...much more tasty.

Nice photos...thanks for posting them.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

OK, a lesson in whitetail genetics. Pay attention class. In my program, I try to run about a 1:1 buck:doe ratio, however, I have two sets of pens that affect this ratio.
    In my breeder pen, I just either rent, buy, or pick the best from my pen and put him in with up to 25 does to breed, all works well.

In my DMP pen,(Deer Management Pen), I am permitted to catch wild deer off the ranch and place them in a pen to be introduced to whatever buck I want, be it a wild buck, a rented, bought, or one from my breeder pen.

In the pasture, the wild deer ratio is upside down at about 4 bucks to one doe, because the ratio is 1 buck to 20-25 doe in temporary captivity.

Now in the wild, we do not shoot bucks before the age of three and we are pretty darn good at aging on the hoof. Even spikes can be so because they are born late, or their mother isn't very good at feeding so they start off behind, but can catch up.I give them 3 years to do that.

The majority of the time in the wild, a buck will breed 3-5 doe annually. The buck that will do the most breeding in a herd is 4-6 with 5 being the dominant age. Before that they are not developed enough to fight off a stronger buck, and after that they are too old and/or getting weak and smart enough not to risk their life fighting for a doe.

With proper nutrition a buck can keep improving rack up to 10-12 years old, but in part because they don't wear their body down doing the breeding, but dodge fights, and again due to nutrition and predation.

So in a nutshell I agree not to shoot your best genetics, and this is both on the buck and doe side, but a great trophy having achieved say, 7 yo and older unless you want to feed them, are eating food that your younger deer need to develop and recover from rut stress, and then, who likes to find a trophy like the one shown, dead from whatever added to age, and a bleached skeleton on the ground or worse, rodent chewed tips that ruin the trophy to mount.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

Great read KC. How old would you guess the second pic deer is?

My deer stand base is headed off down south.

IMG_4042.jpg

More pics from my kill cam. And the feeder is not up yet...

IMG_4046.jpg

IMG_4047.jpg

Good explanation KINGCHIP....Thank you for tendering that.

Orangetom

Guess I'll share a couple from the last week or two. Got a young spike elk and a cow moose that's still living 20 feet from the house.