Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HF hookup with my friend out in Tennessee...

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    JDH,

1,193 MHZ. LSB is to what I think you were referring.

I think sometimes it is also referenced as 1193 KHZ.

Is this correct??? For 160 meter Amateur Band .. as I recall the band runs from 1.800MHZ to 2.000 MHZ...or just above the AM broadcasting band.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Think he means 1193 Khz is Below 1800kHz-2000kHz i.e. NOT in the HAM band
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdale View Post
    Think he means 1193 Khz is Below 1800kHz-2000kHz i.e. NOT in the HAM band
    Yes, this.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

You fellows are correct...I meant 1.993 MHZ LSB....and not 1.193 LSB

Yes..correct in the 1.800 to 2.000 MHZ band....160 meters.

My Bad...

Orangetom

Hooked up with my friend out in Tennessee once again and on 160 meters. We are carrying on as I type this out. We are on 1.920 MHZ on LSB. What is different this time Is that I have cut my power way back to about 30 watts from the max the radio can put out at 100watts.

I was curious about this as to how low we can go and still keep contact.

The noise level is not bad tonight with some static in the background but for now about a25 to 30 watts is making the trip. We have been conversing for about 40 minutes now. His signal here is 9 to 10 on the S meter and at times up to 15.

Once again it is good to hear my friend and not on the phone. Distance is some 400 miles. 160 meters is working out fine so far.

We still need to explore other bands and see how they work.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

My friend from Tennessee is back in town working on his house and getting it ready for sale...before staying out there near Johnson City.

We hooked up on 2 meter upper sideband while I was about town in my truck taking care of some business.

I decided to run over to his place and pick up the spare 20 pound empty propane bottles of which he was wanting to rid himself. I picked up 9 of them.

Was half way home before it occurred to me that today ....one would look very suspicious if stopped by the local constabulary and with a truck full of 20 pound propane bottles two pistols and an SKS in the vehicle.

I got them home with no problem.

I plan to keep some of them and trade them in for full ones at the Rino stand/exchange. It is good to have full spare bottles on hand. Others will be for trade/barter.

We stayed on 2 meter SSB the whole trip. Copy was good...even better once the sun went down. I like running locally on 2 meter SSB...but it is just that most people do not have it but have only FM mode of transmission and receive.

We will be back to working 160 and or 75 meters when he gets back to Tennessee in the evenings.

Before I went to see my friend across the river...I loaded up 50 rounds of 41 Magnum ammunition in new Starline Brass. 40 rounds are loaded with lead 210 grain semi wad cutter copper plated bullets...and 10 rounds special with 250 grain wide flat nosed gas checked lead bullets at about 1100 fps.

Thanks and 73,

Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 05-16-2017 at 12:24 PM.