Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown Rice

Default Brown Rice

went to Dollar Tree to get some soap making paraphernalia and wound up buying couple 2 lb bags of brown rice..1.00 each that's 50 cent a lb? whats the going rate in yall's area for brown rice?

Hum, not sure. I buy Basmati rice by the 50lb burlap sacks. $11.00 ea. At SAMS.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

We get it in 15 lb cloth bags also.

It seems to take longer to cook for us than white rice. I had a real trial and error process with brown rice. Plain white rice I always bring it to a boil, then turn down to a low simmer (half a notch on our electric stove), rice & water 1-2 ratio. 20 minutes, it's done, ready to eat. Brown rice, I have to bring it to a boil, turn it down to a simmer (one and a half notches on the electric stove), rice and water in a 1-2.25 ratio. And let it simmer for 45-60 minutes. Turns out great though, we like it a lot better than plain white rice. More heat, more water, more time. There's more nutrition and more flavor too though.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Storage life is not the same for brown rice vs white.

Brown rice has an oil content so it will go rancid after about 6 months unless it's stored in a container at or below 40*. White rice, jasmine, basmati etc can last up to about 30 years if it's stored in a cool dry place in a vac sealed container or in an air tight container with an oxy absorber without being refrigerated.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

We have kept brown rice for a year or more at room temp (63 - 75) without noticing any taste or texture difference. I am still using white rice bagged in 2009 and it is still as good as the day it went in the bag. The brown, I don't expect that kind of "legs" from, but just sayin', we haven't had any noticeable issues with spoilage of brown rice yet. YMMV
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    Brown rice has an oil content so it will go rancid after about 6 months unless it's stored in a container at or below 40*. White rice, jasmine, basmati etc can last up to about 30 years if it's stored in a cool dry place in a vac sealed container or in an air tight container with an oxy absorber without being refrigerated.
    While specific storage conditions may very, camo has a good point!

Our white rice which we stored in 2009 had zero special storage processing. It just went directly from the store sack (20-25 lb cloth sack if I recall) into gallon size ziploc freezer bags which went into a plastic storage tub, that was stored on the bottom of our pantry area for the past 7+ years. You literally cannot tell it didn't come from the store yesterday.

We have some brown rice sealed in mylar as a test that was sealed in 2012 (I think?) with oxygen absorbers to prevent the rancidity. That test is still in progress. We will probably open it up this year or next to check it, and use it if it's usable. And replace it with some stored the same way if it worked out.

As I said, we've had brown rice just stored on the shelf for over a year, which we use some of nearly every week because we buy in bulk. I haven't had any of it go noticeably "bad" yet. I don't doubt it does at some point, I just haven't seen it... yet. YMMV.

Bruss, I'm sure climate has a lot to do with it too. In Central Texas it's mostly hot with high humid. Can you imagine not storing food properly in this Climate. LOL yuuuck!!

Yes, we are fortunate that our rainfall/humidity only happens during the winter here. Summers are usually hot/dry and we use AC in the summer (pretty much have to). The ziploc bags are a pretty good barrier against moisture, but aren't an oxygen barrier (takes mylar).