Thread: First garden

Default First garden

Just moved in to a new house last August and the soil sucks it 90% sand doing raised beds. So far we have 2 types of potatoes, green onions, cherry tomatoes and big boy tomatoes.

Looking for suggestions on how to get the best crop out of what I got. Like I said 1st year doing this so well see how it goes

Try amending your soil with mushroom compost! It's a miracle soil and will super charge your produce production.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Sand is great with some nutrients.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Yes it is. My whole property is base sand to about 10 ft then it's red clay then pea gravel. All I had was sand to work with when I first built my gardens. I've since amended with dump truck loads of mushroom compost and homemade compost over the years. I swear by mushroom compost tilled into sand and working in my homemade compost from fall tilling and raw produce kitchen scraps, fallen leaves and chipper shred dings, cleaning out stalls and coops for chicken and horse manure.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

South Texas red sand grows some good stuff. Takes more water but not all bad.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

just reinforce what everyone else has said.
    I have very sandy soil also, but it is easy to work.
    Just add lots and lots of organic matter - anything you can lay your hands on.
    compost, leaves, grass clippings, wood chips.
    and manure - aged first - cow, horse, chicken
    get some rabbits their manure can go straight on to the garden
    and start some tubs of worms for your edible kitchen left overs

Peat moss will help the sand retain moisture.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.