Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wtf did i just hear?

Coyotes very often come into residential areas at night to feed. Loose cats are on the menu but mostly they clean out all the cat and dog food dishes left outside. Also often there are more rabbits in residential areas than in adjoining wild areas. Coyotes are everywhere including in many large cities. They are smart and go where the food is.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    Coyotes very often come into residential areas at night to feed. Loose cats are on the menu but mostly they clean out all the cat and dog food dishes left outside. Also often there are more rabbits in residential areas than in adjoining wild areas. Coyotes are everywhere including in many large cities. They are smart and go where the food is.
    YEP! Just like liberals and democrats....always sneaking around looking for handouts and freebies. Wonder if the democrats would consider Wile Y coyote as their candidate for President in 2020?

Coyotes are not pack hunters per se, like wolves. They Yelp and howl to bring their family together when they are coming in from individual hunts. Each family has their own unique vocalizations to identify, kinda like penguins do.

They do not gather to hunt prey. They will start howling as a pack also to alert other packs to stay way. Territorial... It's a warning. When people hear coyote howls, they assume that they're hearing a large pack of animals, all raising their voices at once, but this is an auditory illusion called the “beau geste” effect.

I love to sit out at night a listen to them. We have A LOT of coyotes in my area and every night, we can hear them coming together before they return to their den. On occasion we get to watch one on the hunt and actual witness a successful catch as we drive past a field or pasture.

Coyotes usually hunt in the early morning, sometimes mid day and in the evening light but rarely at night and always individually..
    Wolves hunt in packs, morning, mid day, evening and night and rarely hunt alone.
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 01-18-2017 at 05:25 PM.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”

It was a pretty deep howling. I know we are getting some wolf species back in the area. I live out in the boonies. We have alot of deer and rabbits on the property. I have noticed yote turds and prints. Still never seen one directly. Ive heard yotes yiping and howling but never a pack and it did sound deep. But i think it was either yotes or red wolves. Either way. Im having a night mission friday and saterday.

Don't know man, watch them rabbits! Might be some gmo bunny from night of the lepids!

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    It was a pretty deep howling. I know we are getting some wolf species back in the area. I live out in the boonies. We have alot of deer and rabbits on the property. I have noticed yote turds and prints. Still never seen one directly. Ive heard yotes yiping and howling but never a pack and it did sound deep. But i think it was either yotes or red wolves. Either way. Im having a night mission friday and saterday.
    I've never heard a red wolf howl but I have heard yotes howling and yelping on the prarie when I was in Montana. Timber wolf too. A timber wolf howl is very deep, guttural, beautiful in a way, but at the same time will definitely straighten out any curl you may have in your hair. Sorta bores right into your soul. BTW, don't know about where you are but here in North Carolina red wolves have been reintroduced on the coast and are protected. Shoot one and you be in deep sh*t.
    Last edited by beowulf; 01-19-2017 at 07:17 AM.

This winter we had a wolf shot while mingling with a cattle herd in winter pasture. this is about 12 miles from the capital building here in Helena Montana. Canadien timber wolf that is hunted with 5 licenses per hunter at least. We are about 150 miles from yellowstone.

In northern canada I have heard coyotes yiping ad talking then go silent when one long wolf howl is heard.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    Good point here HiWall!! I have learned not to leave out too much dried cat food for that very reason. Lots of critters like the dried cat food ..or even dried dog food. Racoons, Possums, and I expect Coyotes would not turn down a free and easy meal. I put out just enough to get them to the next meal..not a lot of extra left out.

Wow!! Beowulf,

YEP! Just like liberals and democrats....always sneaking around looking for handouts and freebies. Wonder if the democrats would consider Wile Y coyote as their candidate for President in 2020?
    LOL LOL LOL!! Now that is a very good comparison.

Someone posted about lots of rabbits here in suburbia...that is true. I see them often in the headlights on the way home scurrying to get out of the glare.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 01-23-2017 at 05:12 AM.

definitely yotes.. springs comin and the girls start to go in heat and hierarchies have to be re-established,, packs get formed,, up here its close to sunset when we start hearing them yip and yap.
    would make a good musher mit and hat.. collar trim when the time comes,, if you shoot em,, skin em,, higher fur in high winter