Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ratios of PMs (not PMS ......) are off compared to historical statistic

Default The ratios of PMs (not PMS ......) are off compared to historical statistic

Platinum usually trades around 30% higher than gold and is actually right now around 30% cheaper than gold and has been since 2015. A good average ratio for silver to gold is around 50:1, it's now at 70:1. That says to me that gold prices are falsely inflated. I think all the publicity and sellers of gold are to blame...............I hope it's nothing more nefarious than that.

I'm guessing that rather than silver going up much right now to catch gold, gold will gradually go down. Because of gold inching down platinum will slightly increase until it's back to historical ratios......... I'm only guessing......and banking on it.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Platinum usually trades around 30% higher than gold and is actually right now around 30% cheaper than gold and has been since 2015.
    I got told that by a Monex rep about 28 years ago... he was right, and I made money, something about going long on PT and shorting AU...

Rancher

Have they started using something else in catalytic converters? It used to be, the catalytic converter companies would switch back and forth between palladium and platinum due to market price fluctuation/supply etc. they'd buy a bunch of platinum, the supply would go low, they'd buy a bunch of palladium, and tank platinum prices temporarily.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

One cause is simple economics of supply and demand.. in 2014 the African mines went on strike and when they came to an agreement they fiercely caught up, making a surplus and has yet to even out...... as far as the catalytic converters I'm not sure, but the auto makers are sure pumping out the new vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    One cause is simple economics of supply and demand.. in 2014 the African mines went on strike and when they came to an agreement they fiercely caught up, making a surplus and has yet to even out...... as far as the catalytic converters I'm not sure, but the auto makers are sure pumping out the new vehicles.
    I just wondered if they had found a new element for catalytic converters, because other than probably the jewelry industry, I would think they're the biggest consumer of platinum.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Last I read they are the biggest consumer of platinum............I will look into it, but I still think that gold is falsely inflated due to the attention it's getting.

I can't find any recent info with a quick search, but there are other technologies emerging and the fact that electric and hybrid cars are making an impact as well.

Do you track silver too? What's your current assessment of silvers price right now?

Joe - NY

Metal prices as a whole are being suppressed. Noone is buying scrap so the market is flat. Speculation shifts the price vs reality.

Look at Silver as a good buy.

Joe, see OP for a little more detail.... I don't think silver will be moving very much until gold evens out, that being said I'm buying right now.

I think the stock market is primed for a crash and if you can stand to sit on some cash, a huge sale is coming our way. If it happens big boy toys and real estate will be had for pennies on the dollar.

I'm not rich or well versed in the markets, trading, or metals..........these are simply my thoughts based on my limited research.