Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Texas schools are under a 2 prongged attack

My kid has a hard time reading (stubborn, teacher isn't motivating) but he tested as "gifted talented" so we're getting thru to him with a tutor who is an absolute master at motivating kids at $60 extra per week, when times aren't exactly great for us financially. We'll get thru it, but here's my issue with the public schools... My school district is building a... wait for it.... BILLION DOLLAR FOOTBALL STADIUM! Talk about a waste of my tax money that could be used to get kids like mine a little extra attention in the learning department.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

To me, the answer would be ..... Home school. I worked and home schooled in the evening. My oldest was not home schooled and his progress was horrid. He quit in his Jr year. My other three were home schooled and excelled in everything. Graduated, went to college and have very high paying competitive jobs. My oldest tells me often, he wishes he had been home schooled. He did finally go back and finish later in life but he missed out on a lot.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Camo, I agree, BUT, like some of the bus drivers that I wouldnt trust even in a smart car, in my area at least I would say maybe 3 out of 10 parents would be capable of home schooling their kids,And I'm trying to be nice, by not going into details. But I wouldn't want them schooling their dogs, much less their kids! Although some i know could teach some very interesting courses.

I agree on home schooling being a superior option, but some poor kids have to fend for themselves and school is their only relief. It's sad sometimes to see how some kids have to live.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I pay almost 5k a year in property tax for my little 1/4 acre lot, and my house is a cheap one compared to my neighbor's, and the average home in my city. There's PLENTY of money to draw good teachers, and good staff of all kinds to our schools. We'd love to home school, my wife and I both work, we have no family locally, and she makes 3x what I do, so obviously she can't just come home and teach, but if I manage to get the business I'm planning to start off the ground, that may change.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

That's ridiculous! I only pay a tenth of that, but my little homestead is only worth about 150k. Good job on your wife....lol
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Montana is still dotted with one and two room school houses. Almost all closed now but that used to be the way for rural kids to go to school. The parents hired the teacher and maybe had a "kid wagon" that they cooperated on to get the far flung kids to school. To this day the schools theoretically have to stable your horse if you ride it to school. We have a 12 year old in public school and all they want is bigger schools and multi million dollar bond issues (in a state with barely over one million inhabitants). Montana instituted state wide gambling to support the teachers retirement fund but right now our kiddos classes don't have the right textbooks.

As far as taking off work to home school, YOU set the time schedule. I worked, sometimes pulling 36 hour shifts at the hospital. It takes both parents to home school under my conditions. Our schedule was evening classes. Our kids had the day free then classes began at 6pm to 10pm. They learned more in 4 hour days than the kids learned in 8 hr days in public school, and they retained it.

If you can read, write, keep a strict schedule and be devoted (which is crutial) you can teach. You, as the education provider, purchase a year of curriculums (student/teacher books and guidelines) at a time for each grade then stick to those required using the guidelines. As the teacher, your materials provide the correct answers and the grading system for each exercise. The only difficult part for you as the teacher is consistency and devotion to your child's(ren's education.

I fought tooth and nail in court to have the right to home school my kids. It was one hell of a battle but It was worth every effort! Back then, it wasn't so readily accepted. I had to fight the state. The state had lawyers and psychologist on their side and on my side there was just me. They had me under one powerful microscope. Eventually, and while against the courts wishes, I continued educating my kids at home and kept them out of the public school system. After a year of litigation, the states psychologist in my case, began home schooling his kids. I was no one special. I simply loved my kids and wanted more for them than what the system had to offer.
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 01-11-2017 at 08:10 AM.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.