Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: eggs

Thing is, they squawk weather someone was on the property or not so how can you tell? LOL
    HELL, THEY SQUAWK AT EACH OTHERS MOVEMENTS!
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I have 4, one is solid white. They do a great job of keeping the bugs at bay, they chase the lawnmower around the yard, I can't figure if it's to catch the grass or they like the force of the wind. They're strange birds for sure, I don't mind the noise.......30 would be a different story
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I started to get some guineas, and some peacocks, years ago---- then,, remembered Grandma's flocks. People used to keep these---for ''watchdogs''--- they did not have to feed them. I always let my chickens out at morning-- you HAVE TO secure them at night.
    ''the heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left'' Ecclesiastes 10:2 [ NIV ]

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Archie View Post
    I started to get some guineas, and some peacocks, years ago---- then,, remembered Grandma's flocks. People used to keep these---for ''watchdogs''--- they did not have to feed them. I always let my chickens out at morning-- you HAVE TO secure them at night.
    We used to have free range chickens and guineas . The chickens got wiped out, so now I keep them all in the barn and fenced enclosures . but those frickin guineas were indestructible.

You got me to thinking BamBam about what my Ham radio friend told me about Geese as watchdog.

He had three geese and a gander...along with ducks and various types of chickens in his yard up in the county. Raised bees too.

He told me that geese make a good watchdog as well and raise Cain when someone not supposed to be there gets on the property.

I did learn one thing about them...don't turn your back to far to them.. they will bite you ...and got me right through the backs of my denims. That smarted. After that I kept them in sight out the corner of my eye. That olde buzzard had a good strong bite for not having teeth like a cat or dog.

He had a messy yard from all the bird droppings but there was not a bug moving about his yard that would survive except what would and could hide in his woodpile. LOL LOL...sort of a trade off.

He gave me a half dozen duck eggs. They were good for breakfast...thicker than chicken eggs and larger but good.

Orangetom

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    You got me to thinking BamBam about what my Ham radio friend told me about Geese as watchdog.

He had three geese and a gander...along with ducks and various types of chickens in his yard up in the county. Raised bees too.

He told me that geese make a good watchdog as well and raise Cain when someone not supposed to be there gets on the property.

I did learn one thing about them...don't turn your back to far to them.. they will bite you ...and got me right through the backs of my denims. That smarted. After that I kept them in sight out the corner of my eye. That olde buzzard had a good strong bite for not having teeth like a cat or dog.

He had a messy yard from all the bird droppings but there was not a bug moving about his yard that would survive except what would and could hide in his woodpile. LOL LOL...sort of a trade off.

He gave me a half dozen duck eggs. They were good for breakfast...thicker than chicken eggs and larger but good.

Orangetom
    We had geese too when I was a kid. They don't make near as much noise as those dam guineas , but they do leave crap everywhere. That's why my dad got rid of them. Ducks won't survive unless enclosed and protected.