Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winter Camping in the Travel Trailer

Safe travels! Sounds like it'll be a good trip.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Weather changes a lot this time of year. Case in point, the forecast has been updated once again.

Looks like it'll be raining all day well into the night on day one. Temps in the 30's. Brr. I have not set up the trailer in wet weather before. Shouldn't be much difference except the comfort factor and hoping I can manage to keep dry through the event. Very glad to be having shore power on this trip, that makes the electric space heaters a workable strategy.

Friday looks better, sunny at least. Temps not getting out of the mid 40's though. That'll be all right for a hike, as long as I keep a brisk enough pace to stay warm. I've gotten a bit spoiled here temp-wise. I can recall in my youth helping my dad mix mortar and lay concrete block in sub-freezing temps where we had to put de-icing compound in the mortar to keep it from freezing. I really can't say that I miss it LOL.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Trip was a success... rainy on Thursday night as anticipated but cold and clear the remainder... no leaks. The electric space heaters kept it between 60-68 degrees the whole time. It was a somewhat novel and luxurious experience to have limitless electricity and water use without any conservation needed. It's pleasant to be alone with one's thoughts, to have freedom from the constant interruptions of daily life for reflection. I came away with some personal realizations that I'll be further pursuing.

Bit of a malfunction on the way home. A loose piece of siding pulled away from the port forward corner and bent back while en route. I was able to temporarily secure it with a screw leftover from a previous project. It looks horrid and will have to be replaced... not sure exactly what that will involve. Might be able to go to a seminar on that in a couple of months. Until then I will have to cover it with plastic and tape.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

What good is a trip without a little adventure.......thank goodness for extra parts, lol
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

It's good to get out on your own for awhile to collect one's thoughts. I imagine camping, and hiking in mid January is beyond peaceful, and invigorating.

Aye, tis true. Love the smell of woodsmoke and pines. I wasn't the only camper there (surprised me a bit they were actually about 1/3 capacity) but yhere was a lot less noise and activity than in the warmer weather.

There is a trailer repair "boot camp" for restorers about 1.5 hours from us in March. I'll be attending to pick up some skills and tips, maye save the cost of the workshop by doing it myself instead of hiring it out... right now I know zip about trailer siding. The old girl would look much improved with a new skin... I just have no idea what something like that would cost. Every dollar I can save is a dollar for other needs, and I'm not afraid to learn something new or break a sweat diy'ing.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    We always have enjoied winter camping. Used to backpack a lot. Few years ago we picked up a 5th wheeler and have had it out a few times for Couple times down in the teens. Biggest problems were water hose freezing up. Needed to add a heat tape for it. That and the heater does like lots of propane. We used almost 2 30lb tanks in 9 days.
    Good luck on the trips out folks. They sound like fun.
    Yeah the problem is that there's no insulation in those damn things if I had to do it all over again when I rebuilt mine I would have put in crap load of insulation
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    Trip was a success... rainy on Thursday night as anticipated but cold and clear the remainder... no leaks. The electric space heaters kept it between 60-68 degrees the whole time. It was a somewhat novel and luxurious experience to have limitless electricity and water use without any conservation needed. It's pleasant to be alone with one's thoughts, to have freedom from the constant interruptions of daily life for reflection. I came away with some personal realizations that I'll be further pursuing.

Bit of a malfunction on the way home. A loose piece of siding pulled away from the port forward corner and bent back while en route. I was able to temporarily secure it with a screw leftover from a previous project. It looks horrid and will have to be replaced... not sure exactly what that will involve. Might be able to go to a seminar on that in a couple of months. Until then I will have to cover it with plastic and tape.
    Glad to hear it was a successful trip
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

We gutted and rebuilt a 99' 5th wheel. Took the walls down inside and put in a bunch more insulation. Took it up to N. Dakota winter of 2014. Survived quite nicely. Didn't freeze up at all. The metal siding can be bought at mobile home supply stores. $60/ for 10 foot. You have to remove a bunch of staples, then it snaps into place.
    Last edited by only1wayout; 01-16-2017 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman1 View Post
    Yeah the problem is that there's no insulation in those damn things if I had to do it all over again when I rebuilt mine I would have put in crap load of insulation
    You can get them with winter packages - insulation and heat pads for the tanks....Mine has them, while I tend not to use it in the dead of winter, I could...until the propane ran out.
    Good medicine in bad places