Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Camping in the Travel Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Good luck! I tend to " hibernate" during the winter and spend the rest of the year preparing for my hibernation.
    LOL!!! Flock, you sound like my wife. Her idea of roughing it is a cheap motel with a heated swimming pool. Getting her to go camping in the winter, sleep in a tent or out under the stars......AIN'T......GONNA.....HAPPEN! FORGET IT!

We always have enjoied winter camping. Used to backpack a lot. Few years ago we picked up a 5th wheeler and have had it out a few times for Couple times down in the teens. Biggest problems were water hose freezing up. Needed to add a heat tape for it. That and the heater does like lots of propane. We used almost 2 30lb tanks in 9 days.
    Good luck on the trips out folks. They sound like fun.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Was out in bumfuk texas somewhere about a week ago, cool crystal clear big sky full of bright lights, it's never the same in town and not much of one for city living.

Like the skies in the high Desert. Sometimes wonder about the view from space.

A few years ago I went hunting with my dad. We slept in his pop up camper, that had been damaged in a wind storm a couple of weeks before. The canvas had been ripped on the side that I was sleeping on! To top it off, his Buddy heater was not running right and the smell of propane was over powering when we had it running.

It got down to 25 degrees that night, with no heat. I slept really good. Kept hydrated, slept in a pair of thermal underware, and was inside an old Army mummy bag.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Be Careful with that Big Buddy heater in enclosed spaces with no clean ventilation. I use a Lil Buddy heater on top of my 20# propane tank out in my shop on occasion. My shop is 18'x8 with 9' ceilings, and it gets warm very quickly even on the low setting, and can add 40 degrees to a freezing shop in about 1/2 hour.

The big thing you have to watch is the fumes, which can quickly give you a headache (or worse). When we cool weather camp, it's usually above 45-50 degrees, and we only use electric heaters, not the propane furnace.

We wintered in a 23 foot old travel trailer one winter here in montana. -30 and 3 feet of snow at one time. We had grid power so we ran two 1500 watt portable heaters and stayed just fine. The floor was freezing and the ceiling was about 85 degrees. Froze all the water pipes of course. The bathroom was in the end of the trailer so by keeping the door closed it stayed cold and we could poop in a plastic bag lining the toilet and bury it later. Not the best situation but it all worked and we moved into our wood heated cabin in the spring.

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Quote Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
    Be Careful with that Big Buddy heater in enclosed spaces with no clean ventilation. I use a Lil Buddy heater on top of my 20# propane tank out in my shop on occasion. My shop is 18'x8 with 9' ceilings, and it gets warm very quickly even on the low setting, and can add 40 degrees to a freezing shop in about 1/2 hour.

The big thing you have to watch is the fumes, which can quickly give you a headache (or worse). When we cool weather camp, it's usually above 45-50 degrees, and we only use electric heaters, not the propane furnace.
    The Big Buddy has a low oxygen sensor, no problem with fumes after burning it in for about an hour after purchase. Dust it collects in storage might be a issue until it burns off. Propane is very clean burning with only water as a byproduct of combustion, in an enclosed space with no ventilation mold can be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkman View Post
    We wintered in a 23 foot old travel trailer one winter here in montana. -30 and 3 feet of snow at one time. We had grid power so we ran two 1500 watt portable heaters and stayed just fine. The floor was freezing and the ceiling was about 85 degrees. Froze all the water pipes of course. The bathroom was in the end of the trailer so by keeping the door closed it stayed cold and we could poop in a plastic bag lining the toilet and bury it later. Not the best situation but it all worked and we moved into our wood heated cabin in the spring.
    PEX tubing is all I'll use offgrid now, doesn't help with freezing but at least it doesn't burst like copper. Know exactly what you mean on temp differences, our guest house and outhouse are both slab on grade with no insulation under the slab. Nice in the summer to have a cool floor, but in the winter slippers/shoes inside are NOT optional and the temp difference is about 30 degrees from floor to ceiling.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

If I were going to Winter in my camper, I would stuff the underside with straw bales, and lay 4'x8' sheets of rigid insulation against the sides of the camper (covering the gap between the ground and camper, and up the outside wall about 2'). I think in freezing conditions, you could still use the sinks and toilets as designed, if they drained to external portible tanks.

You could have a decent amount of solar panels on the roof that would charge your twin 12V deep cycle batteries (I think I would keep the batteries inside in the warmth for better efficiency).

I think as far as power, you could run lights on battery power, or a small Honda quiet generator in peak demand times (for using the microwave, toaster, charging batteries, even a small electric heater). It all depends if you are boondocking offgrid, or are Wintering in a campground with electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post

I've had fumes from kerosene space heaters, but never from propane. If you're getting "fumes" from propane there's likely something wrong with the burner or you're exhausting the oxygen in the room - which will lead to monoxide. When I first got the trailer, before I spent a single night in it, I had a propane detector, smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector installed. I bought this trailer to spend a few nights in, not the rest of my life.

My plan this trip is to rely on the electric space heaters, since the electricity will be free, and the propane will cost me. I have used the Mr. Buddy in there before for about 8 hours while doing some off season maintenance chores - never ran into a problem. I'll take it along just as a "back-up" this trip, but don't expect to need to fire it up.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Forecast update - Looks like the rain will have blown over with a negligible chance of precipitation - clear skies resulting in mild days and overnight temps in the low 30's. Sounds downright pleasant.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.