Thread: We have New Years Babies!

Default We have New Years Babies!

They started hatching this morning. ( Barred Rock)
    So far, 6 have hatched. 4 eggs left to hatch and two of those are pipping now. I incubated 10 eggs. Looks like 100% hatch is probable.
    It's funny. I've been hatching chicks for about 30 years and I still get excited! They're just so dang cute and they feed us taboot.

Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

They are so cute at that age, mine that are almost a month old look like banty barred rock, Wednesday the weather will be better, they go down in the outside grow-out cages (4'X5') to acclimate them with the 3 hens that rule that large cage.

Rancher

They really are! These will stay inside my barn office until March. It has climate control and a small 4x4 hatchling pen inside. After that, I'll open the floor hatch so they can come in and out of the office pen into the fledgling pen that's 8'x 12'. The fledgling pen is joined with the coop, separated by chicken wire so they can introduce themselves into the flock without being harassed by the Roos for breeding until they can defend themselves as adults. From there, they go into population as part of the established flock.

I enjoy incubating and hatching chicks in the Winter so they will have time to grow before Spring and can be intro'd early in the Spring, rather than Summer. My adult hens are very docile but my Roo's are breeding machines and can get pretty aggressive with my hens. I do enjoy this breed though.

You have Barred Rock too, right?
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

All 10 hatched! Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    They started hatching this morning. ( Barred Rock)
    So far, 6 have hatched. 4 eggs left to hatch and two of those are pipping now. I incubated 10 eggs. Looks like 100% hatch is probable.
    It's funny. I've been hatching chicks for about 30 years and I still get excited! They're just so dang cute and they feed us taboot.
    I bet they're real tender at that age......not much meat though......

Wouldn't be worth the trouble. 21 days to incubate for one bite of chicken. LOL

You have Barred Rock too, right?
    All 10 hatched! Yay!
    Congratulations Daddy, done good.

I've raised many different breeds, I currently only have 2 Barred Rock hens, and a pair of what appear to be Rhode Island Reds, the Lady didn't know what they were, I bought the BR at the feed store, and the 51 chicks I got are BR, I keep the Roo in with the ducks since he is such an animal, one of the BR hens wants to sneak in behind me when I feed them so he can mate her, she's such a hussy.

The Last time I saw him mate the RIR hen, it was all for show, he was way off target...

Rancher

Yeah, he's a dang man whore. LOL

All I raise now are Barred Rock. I used to raise show fowl. I had over 3 thousand birds of different breeds. I got out of that business when the government started getting too deep into my business. They regulated breeders out of business. Now I just raise a yard full for our own private use.. Small scale.
    I'm seriously thinking of getting some Silkies to have as surrogates for brooding, caring for and protecting the chicks rather than me doing it. Right now I only have the BR's and only 14 with two being Roo's. I have 5 fowl barns with 8 pens in each barn that we built for our show birds. Now they are empty other that a few being used to store bee hives not in production.