Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY body armor

seems to me something pretty hard at the impact surface (ceramic, thin steel) to deform the face of the projectile to flatten it might be helpful - give it more surface area to force it's way thru the other layers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7jiIQOgwtI

A little long, but he shows the test first before the build...if only he had thought of the band saw earlier.
    Stupid should hurt- bad

Quote Originally Posted by johnEprophet View Post
    I am the tinker type, I like messing with things, building or improving things. For me its fun to attempt to make something, if it turns into something viable then awesome, if not then its part of my personal hobby.
    This is my philosophy as well. I'm a tinkerer/inventer and if nothing else I enjoy building/testing ideas.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    seems to me something pretty hard at the impact surface (ceramic, thin steel) to deform the face of the projectile to flatten it might be helpful - give it more surface area to force it's way thru the other layers.
    This is the way you put these diy panels together. 1 layer of denim, 1 layer of sheet metal, ceramic tile, then about 6 to 8 layers of denim with liquid nails used to hold things together. But when assembling everything, it is important to sandwich the layers together for an entire day with weight. This helps to make the layers more dense as well as to make it thinner. The point of the one layer of denim on top of the sheet metal is to help catch the lead from hitting you in the face.

From what I have read, the liquid nails also help prevent the ceramic tile from shatterring, thus hopefully making it able to stop more than one round.
    Last edited by 91CavGT; 01-02-2017 at 10:51 AM.

One material not talked about much as armor, is fiberglass. Granted its rigid, and will shed fibers if hit, but seems to work pretty good.

As far as the tile set up goes, honestly I would venture to suggest replacing the ceramic tile with quarters or something of the like in a tight pattern, a layer of liquid nails soaked denim, and another layer or quarters or similar coin to cover any gaps, followed with the denim and liquid nails would work far better. The Cermic tile built armor I have seen uses the smaller tiles on a mesh grid and as long as the tiles hold together it spreads the impact out over a wider area rather well.

I do have plans to purchase an actual UHMWpe armor plate for my own testing, but these admittidly dont hold up well over time to lots of hits (ar500 still wins there) So just curious, anyone seen any data of much thinner AR500 plates? Weight, and what rounds 1/4" or even 1/8" can stop?

Kevlar works by catching a bullet, not really stopping a bullet. Imagine throwing a ball into a sheet hanging on a clothesline. Bonding Kevlar over its surface basically just makes it fabric. I saw a myth busters once where they used Coke cans compacted into cubes bonded to a rigid surface to stop bullets. I think it stopped a 9mm IIRC.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

So when do "We" get to test it out Cav?
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    So when do "We" get to test it out Cav?

Well, the "range" I typically use is closed right now because it is too wet to even get to it. So my wife was telling me the other day about another range that is about 15 miles from our house. She mentioned that it costs $180 for a year long family membership. She is eager to get back to the range as well so I might just have to go see how this range is, and if they are A holes running it or if they are laid back.

Cav, any update?
    Omega21

Nope. I have everything except for some metal plates to make a few more. I just have not had enough free time to do it, nor find a new range. I still have a brand new tricked out Ruger Charger that I got this time last year that I have not shot it yet. To say I have a full plate would be an understatement.