Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY body armor

Default DIY body armor

After watching some videos on the tube, I found people making their own body armor out of multiple layers of demin, liquid nails, ceramic tile, and thin sheet metal. After watching multiple videos, it seems to be effective.

So a few months ago, I made a couple of them to try it out. I've not had a chance to test them out yet, but due to some warranty repair work on my house, I now have about 2 boxes of 13"x13" tile that I plan on experimenting with. If it works then I'll share it here.

Once I get a chance to test it, if one of them stops a 9mm then I want to try the other with an ss109 5.56 round to see what happens.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Let us know the weight as well please.
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    After watching some videos on the tube, I found people making their own body armor out of multiple layers of demin, liquid nails, ceramic tile, and thin sheet metal. After watching multiple videos, it seems to be effective.

So a few months ago, I made a couple of them to try it out. I've not had a chance to test them out yet, but due to some warranty repair work on my house, I now have about 2 boxes of 13"x13" tile that I plan on experimenting with. If it works then I'll share it here.

Once I get a chance to test it, if one of them stops a 9mm then I want to try the other with an ss109 5.56 round to see what happens.
    I sincerely hope you won't be wearing it when you test it. Could turn out to be one of those "OH----SHIYT!" moments.

Hey Cav, holler at me when you need someone to shoot at you for R&D. Lol
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

AR500 plates work for multi hit plates and are way cheap for the amount of protection.

I do like ceramic but looking into polys.

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    Hey Cav, holler at me when you need someone to shoot at you for R&D. Lol
    Oh, you're just a REAL pal aren't you? LMAO!!!!!

Hahaha, you guys crack me up. There is no way I'll be wearing it when I test it out. My step brother though, he probably would.

The point of this is to see the possibility of custom making body armor post shtf when you might not be able to find any ar500. It is better to experiment now and find out what works then trying to squeeze time in after shtf.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Here you go.... I can't stop laughing at this crap.

While it works okay, and I am all for being a MacGyver when needed, but come on. If given the option of real plates, use real plates.

Vox Populi!

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    Hahaha, you guys crack me up. There is no way I'll be wearing it when I test it out. My step brother though, he probably would.

The point of this is to see the possibility of custom making body armor post shtf when you might not be able to find any ar500. It is better to experiment now and find out what works then trying to squeeze time in after shtf.
    Wouldn't be easy just to kill something wearing it, than making your own? Just because folks wear armor doesn't mean their worthy of it!

AL, did you put any thought into that?? ^^^
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.