Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY body armor

Quote Originally Posted by porkingporkpork View Post
    Here you go.... I can't stop laughing at this crap.

While it works okay, and I am all for being a MacGyver when needed, but come on. If given the option of real plates, use real plates.

The kind I have already made is a lot better than that. The fiberglass they used has large fibers and large spaces in between the fibers unlike the denim. Also, the roofing tar does not penetrate the fibers like the liquid nails does when the assembly process is done. The aluminum sheet that they used is also very easy to penetrate, even for a .22 rifle. I suspect they used the slowest rounds they could find when they shot it.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Oh, you're just a REAL pal aren't you? LMAO!!!!!
    Well sure Beo, what else are Pals for. Lol
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

well you can always get that idiot on you tube who lit strings of firecrackers he had wrapped around himself to wear the armor for you, that guy will do anything, probably just for the fame and a few beers

That guy is a felon, and went to jail with his whole group of "marauders" after that aired...very curious about your tests.
    Trust. It's what's for dinner.

yea he did for the best IMO. that whole episode with him was a real crap shoot. I felt sorry for that dudes wife.
    Vox Populi!

Why? She chose that fat stupid SOB...you make the bed, you lie in it.
    Trust. It's what's for dinner.

I would be interested in the weight of this outfit as well. I know what one single 13"x13" tile weighs, I can't imagine carrying around more than a couple.

There is a lot of armor being produced now using much much lighter weight UHMWpe panels. Its buoyant in its normal state, has a wide range of temps it performs well under, and is multi hit capable.

I got curious and looked up full sheets of this stuff, a couple hundred bucks would get a 4'x8' sheet that is 1" thick.
    My plan and bear in mind this will be a bit before I really get into it.
    Im going to try a couple different things, laminating slimmer sheets together with a woven layer of kevlar between them for example.
    However I plan on cutting a standard plate size (shooters cut) and then using a dual bend steel plate as a mold to shape the UHMWpe panel. Take it out and put a few rounds into it.
    Then try using 1/4" or 1/8" sheets with kevlar sandwhiched between the layers. Im speculating laminating multiple sheets together with kevlar between each layer could boost protection level up even higher than a solid sheet. Depending upon how the results pan out, I could even add a thin sheet of steel at the back to help protect from run a ways, or even the inevitable dentings.

I am all for expirimentation, and mixing a variety of proven methods together to get something thinner, lighter, maybe even somewhat flexible. Personally however I live in a small town, so even if a true mad max post apocalyptic event occurs, I doubt I would have the need to have a full on juggernaut level of protection. However one thing that intrigues me greatly is scalable armor. Meaning start with a base layer flexible vest that offers protection from small arms as a near every day wear. Then add a plate carrier, deltoids, groin, even thigh protection as the need increases.

I am however really liking the UHMWpe stuff after reading about it, and the comparatively light weight offers lots of opportunities to provide ballistic protection on a wide variety of applications.

Why not just get the stuff Batman uses for his cape?
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I am the tinker type, I like messing with things, building or improving things. For me its fun to attempt to make something, if it turns into something viable then awesome, if not then its part of my personal hobby.