Thread: Finally got through to my mom

Default Finally got through to my mom

I've been trying for about 5 years now to get my mother to understand the dire straits we all face, as well as trying to get her to move away from where we live for far longer than that. She's 84 years old, and I'm no spring chicken myself at age 60. Anyway today we were talking about the the Usual Suspects causing the trouble in the malls, and she shocked me by saying "You know, I'm ready to list my house and get out of here." SAY WHAT?!?!? She's lived in this southern coastal town for 50 years and has always loved it. She's always refused to consider that our town is not the best place to be for us and always denied the extent of the crime rate here. Anyway, I finally got her to realize that a Southeastern coastal city full of the Usual Suspects in Crime is the worst type of place to be if there is a life-altering event that plunges society into a state of total anarchy.

She finally conceded that it is time for people to wake up and face the fact that even in relatively good times there's a large element of people who take what they want without regard for other people; and imagine what it will be like when SHTF. We discussed things like self-sufficiency (she was telling me things about how they survived the Depression on the farm) and how most people don't realize how delicate of a balance we have between supply and demand.

So I just wanted to share that with all of you - it's a big deal to me and quite a relief, too. A bit of good news during the Christmas Season! We're looking at Eastern Tennessee or Southern Kentucky where we have some friends as a place to go.

By the way and pardon my ignorance of things but my name can be confusing, letters cut off at the end when I created it. My name is AllAmerican Girl (not ...GI) - I'm a female who never served as a GI, in case the name is confusing. Just a middle-aged woman, one of the 1% of the population who thinks about things and has a high survival drive. I haven't posted much here but have followed this site for a couple of years now. Thank you very much to all who have contributed so much useful information.

Glad you were able to make her see the light. My parents are in absolute denial (at 74 years old) and don't believe that anything will ever happen to change the way they live and survive.

Great news!
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Congrats All American Girl. I love reading about a happy development within the chaos. Your story is living proof the people are still waking up to reality.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

That's awesome!!
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

Thought she was a chick who just liked gi's . Some like govt issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Alredneck View Post
    Thought she was a chick who just liked gi's . Some like govt issue.
    Well, as a matter of fact, I do like GIs. My dad was one. And in reading my original post I have to laugh about "...just a middle aged woman..." at age 60. That would be true if we all lived to be 120, I suppose. How time does fly!

Quote Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
    Glad you were able to make her see the light. My parents are in absolute denial (at 74 years old) and don't believe that anything will ever happen to change the way they live and survive.
    I am in the same boat. Well they moved to FL and got very lucky with hurricane Matthew. They were suppose to take a direct hit but they storm moved further near north. Had no clue she should have gone to a shelter.
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

you tell her there are some golden girls on here too