Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whew! Did we overspend or WHAT!!!!!!!

Default Whew! Did we overspend or WHAT!!!!!!!

Some medical, some home repair bills, buying a used truck because the old Honda died, with Christmas on top of that, and I am flying out to California because my Mother is ill, ..... we were terribly frugal, but even so it all adds up! And, it all adds up at 12% interest! When I saw the total I almost swallowed my gum.

I loath interest charges.

So, DH and I will sit down tonight and figure out if it is financially better to do a balance transfer to a 0% credit card or see if we can cut costs to the bone and put a chunk of money on the debts instead. Either way it will take us a bit to get the bills paid off. Life is sneaky that way: we paid a good down payment on the truck, and financed $7,500, and I thought I could pay it off in less than a year. But, the spot on DH's face tested positive for cancer, and because it was on his face they recommended a plastic surgeon do the work, and what woman can balk at that? And the hail trashed the roof and there was a deductible while insurance paid the rest, etc. etc. etc.

Fortunately, one of the easiest ways to save money is in the kitchen, and my cupboards are groaning with high-quality food, not to mention what is in the freezer. For a short time I can cut the grocery bill down to a truly tiny amount. Because so much goes on sale during the holidays, I bought extra. After all, who can resist lean, boneless pork at 99 cents a pound, or butter for $1.50?

So I have makings for lots of good meals. And, it will be good practice to pay more attention to what we use on a daily basis! Because prepping not just food: it Is also soap and radiator coolant other good things!
    Last edited by Kansas Terri; 12-27-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Wow!

I'm glad I'm crafty. Our Christmas bill was stretched over a year. I buy, or make throughout the year in prep for Christmas so that when the time comes, all that's left is baking for the Holidays for additional gifts. Also, throughout the year I save every bit of change we accumulate. It usually adds up to about 4 thousand + dollars. We use that to either pay off a bill (this year was paying off my car), or a medical bill we might have.
    Today I started on next years Christmas. I try to get my list made for next Christmas the day after Christmas or there abouts.
    My routine makes the Holidays much more enjoyable knowing we won't be stressed out over money in the first quarter after the Holidays. My friends tell me I'm too disciplined. LOL. I WATCH THEM STRUGGLE every year after the Holidays and I refuse to put us through that torture.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”

I hate running a balance on a CC ever. I usually pay it off before due, but occasionally one gets by me that accrues some interest. Hate it, I tell you.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

Tonight I will thaw some on-sale hamburger and mix it with chopped up Christmas mushrooms. I will turn it into cheese burgers, and serve it with leftover pie and leftover carrots.

I haven't been crafty since we adopted a sibling group: there has been no time! But, the kids are now grown and have moved away, and over the years of Motherhood I have learned to cook the kind of food that my family like to eat.

Tomorrow I think that I will make some lasagna and freeze it for instant meals. I can make the noodles, the spaghetti sauce and velveeta are in the preps, and meat we do have.

Cut my credit cards up n currently don't have a debit card. Not happy with the forced chipping of cards and have seen many not usable around the country with certain scanners. Don't believe this tech is taking us in the direction society need to go and the security issues presented are complete bs.

Financial security is like national security, securing personal interest not securing personal wealth.

Do like sticking to cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Alredneck View Post
    Cut my credit cards up n currently don't have a debit card. Not happy with the forced chipping of cards and have seen many not usable around the country with certain scanners. Don't believe this tech is taking us in the direction society need to go and the security issues presented are complete bs.

Financial security is like national security, securing personal interest not securing personal wealth.

Microwave......5 seconds.....no more chip.
    Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Nobody owes you anything. You're only entitled to what you worked for.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Alredneck View Post

But think of the economy. o'bummer, (is that a fine irish name) required businesses to have chip reader machines by a certain date. We went along to the tune of $1000/reader. Three of them for me. Not sure why many big name retailers don't have them yet. Doesn't matter, hate them.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

Huh.

It appears my FIRST prepping weakness is in poor recordkeeping, We are out of Velveeta, and I had NO idea. Without it we do not have enough cheese to make several dishes of lasagna to freeze.

I will have to test to see if black beans freeze well: DH and I both like soft shelled tacos. I could also make hand-held meat pies and freeze them.

KT, I had some neighbors from Moreland, Ks, kinda NNW of Hayes. Moved back up there, and I joined them on a harvest one year. They had this creature that they called a Kansas Sandwich which was basically ground beef and cabbage inside folded yeast roll, and baked. I could eat about a dozen in a sitting. Good eating. I did have trouble with them using cottage cheese on plates replacing what a good southern family would fill with mashed taters.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    I could eat about a dozen in a sitting. Good eating. I did have trouble with them using cottage cheese on plates replacing what a good southern family would fill with mashed taters.
    I agree! Though, as a KAnsan I prefer my taters as augratin potatos!

Fortunatly I have a winters worth of potatos that I ran through the dehydrator: it is so CONVENIENT being a prepper!!!