Thread: Faraday redo

Default Faraday redo

I decided to redo my Faraday setup.

Before I was putting everything in a big galvanized trash can which was cumbersome.
    So I decided that I would break things apart logically and put in smaller containers.
    I have a few things that are absolutely TEOTWAWKI use and probably would not ever use much day to day.
    Then there are other things that I might use on and off, but would be nice to store in a Faraday enclosure just in case, but if I want to use them before TEOTWAWKI then I won't have to dismantle one big store and smaller containers make it easier to have in the vehicle, not like the galvanized trash can, LOL.

YMMV and I guess I am overdoing it, but I belong to the Tim "Tool Man" Taylor school of engineering that says if a lawn mower with a 25hp Kohler is good, then one with a small block V8 would be even better.

I am taking two approaches, the first is to put bulkier items in a small locking tool box that I will strap to the roof of the Winnebago BOV. That gets it out of the house where climate controlled storage is at a premium and where it is pre positioned should we need to evacuate the retreat. And it locks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Examples of what I put in there was a charger and battery for my portable tools. I am assuming (hoping) that the electric drill and other Dewalt tools will themselves survive the EMP. Also in the box is a small solar charger and a USB to Baofeng charger and some radios (batteries stored separately). etc etc.

Then for smaller items I wanted to separate by function. I have a bunch of ammo stored in metal 30 cal ammo cans and 50 cal metal cans. The 50 cal can be pretty heavy, so I bought a bunch of these plastic ammo cans when they were on sale for $4.88 which gave me the places to move the ammo to.

As an example, I put together a ham repeater that fits in one can.

First line the metal container with something that will keep your items electrically isolated from the box.

Then each item is wrapped with either foam, bubble wrap, or plastic. Here is a Baofeng in an anti static bag which I get from work.

Then I take heavy duty aluminum foil and fold it double, then wrap the item generously. Style points don't count here it isn't a Christmas present. The goal is tight seams. Then I seal all seams totally with Aluminum tape.

Looks like this when done. Then I label everything. No sense having to unwrap everything if you only break into the Faraday box to get at one item.

Then into the box it goes.

Finally everything (tool box, ammo cans) is sealed with aluminum tape to both keep out moisture but also to insure that there is a complete RF barrier. And labeled with its contents. Hopefully this one stays sealed as long as my mylar bags of beans.

Nice set up for the gear.

The repeater in a can is very worthwhile. back years ago one of the guys in our EmComm group put together a digipeater in an ammo can. It was complete with fitting for an antenna and Anderson PowerPole connectors for external power. Inside held a radio, TNC, 35ahR battery, needed cabling, 30' of coax, a roll up J-pole, 550 cord to pull the antenna into a tree, chain and lock to secure it to a tree. We used it multiple times during events and never had a failure
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

I will have to resort to smoke signals and awkward bird calls, I can't even remember my Morse Code.....
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    I will have to resort to smoke signals and awkward bird calls, I can't even remember my Morse Code.....
    Well, how many people do you really want to talk to anyway? My list is short already. LOL
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    I decided to redo my Faraday setup.

Before I was putting everything in a big galvanized trash can which was cumbersome.
    So I decided that I would break things apart logically and put in smaller containers.
    I have a few things that are absolutely TEOTWAWKI use and probably would not ever use much day to day.
    Then there are other things that I might use on and off, but would be nice to store in a Faraday enclosure just in case, but if I want to use them before TEOTWAWKI then I won't have to dismantle one big store and smaller containers make it easier to have in the vehicle, not like the galvanized trash can, LOL.

YMMV and I guess I am overdoing it, but I belong to the Tim "Tool Man" Taylor school of engineering that says if a lawn mower with a 25hp Kohler is good, then one with a small block V8 would be even better.

I am taking two approaches, the first is to put bulkier items in a small locking tool box that I will strap to the roof of the Winnebago BOV. That gets it out of the house where climate controlled storage is at a premium and where it is pre positioned should we need to evacuate the retreat. And it locks.

Examples of what I put in there was a charger and battery for my portable tools. I am assuming (hoping) that the electric drill and other Dewalt tools will themselves survive the EMP. Also in the box is a small solar charger and a USB to Baofeng charger and some radios (batteries stored separately). etc etc.

Then for smaller items I wanted to separate by function. I have a bunch of ammo stored in metal 30 cal ammo cans and 50 cal metal cans. The 50 cal can be pretty heavy, so I bought a bunch of these plastic ammo cans when they were on sale for $4.88 which gave me the places to move the ammo to.

As an example, I put together a ham repeater that fits in one can.

First line the metal container with something that will keep your items electrically isolated from the box.

Then each item is wrapped with either foam, bubble wrap, or plastic. Here is a Baofeng in an anti static bag which I get from work.

Then I take heavy duty aluminum foil and fold it double, then wrap the item generously. Style points don't count here it isn't a Christmas present. The goal is tight seams. Then I seal all seams totally with Aluminum tape.

Looks like this when done. Then I label everything. No sense having to unwrap everything if you only break into the Faraday box to get at one item.

Then into the box it goes.

Finally everything (tool box, ammo cans) is sealed with aluminum tape to both keep out moisture but also to insure that there is a complete RF barrier. And labeled with its contents. Hopefully this one stays sealed as long as my mylar bags of beans.

Chip, you might think about putting some of those silicon dessacant (however you spell it) bags in the cans too as added insurance against any renegade moisture that might find its way inside the cans. If the temperature various very much metal cans are notorious for condensation on the inside.

Tell us more about the Baofeng repeater...
    Good medicine in bad places

This is the one I bought a few years ago, but since then there are better ones that have come on the market. It is crude, but works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walkie-talki...wAAOSwpDdVE97n

Here's a generic search that shows a bunch of newer options including some built into the radio.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...eater&_sacat=0

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Lol, me too.

Seriously though, the need for information during and after an 'event' will ge extremely high, and valuable. The absolute minimum IMHO is to at least be able to listen, talking back is secondary.

Joe - NY

Looking good ex!

Mentioned a while back about the foil gasket on ammo cans. I do like boxes within boxes, but it's really about the cage breaking up wavelength.

Old microwaves work to.

I also like pelican cases for certain electronics, reason the military uses them for the same, insulation.