Thread: 11 December 2016 Powdered Vegetable Chicken Soup Dehydrated

Default 11 December 2016 Powdered Vegetable Chicken Soup Dehydrated

http://durgan.org/2016/December%2020...hydrated/HTML/ 11 December 2016 Powdered Vegetable Chicken Soup Dehydrated
    A pot of Powdered Vegetable Chicken Soup was made using a Cornish chicken and powdered vegetables, and subjectively seasoned. The end product was dehydrated for long term storage at room temperature, being reconstituted by adding water and heating. Pictures depict the highlights of the process.

OK, I admit I am a novice at dehydrating any foods. But why didn't you just dehydrate the chicken, or can the chicken meat and reconstitute it with the already dehydrated vegetables and spices that you already had when you needed the soup, why dehydrate twice? And I've never heard of dehydrating at room temperature, doesn't that encourage mold and bacterial growth?

Rancher

Dehydration is usually done around 115F. (115 t0 130) It takes around 12 hours at that temperature. As long as the end product is bone dry no mold can grow. The dehydrator is an Excalibur.

By mixing the material and dehydrating, I can have a quick meal simply by re-hydrating a couple tablespoons of material. The are no fresh vegetables this time of year, so the current dehydrated vegetables are used. In the Summer fresh garden produce will be used. Slurry/Powdering the material simplifies processing.

Dehydrating is not my typical preservation method, so I am experimenting to some degree. Pressure canning slurry/juice in liter jars of which I have around 500 of all vegetables and fruit. I process mostly plant products.

http://durgan.org/2016/December%2020...Powdered/HTML/ 12 December 2016 Chicken Vegetable Soup Dehydrated Powdered
    Three trays of Chicken Vegetable Soup were dehydrated and made into powder for room temperature storage. This is about 12 servings of 30 grams or one ounce mixed with one cup of water to re-hydrate. Pictures depict the process.