Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chicks !!!

I lost one of my chicks today. All the others were piled on top of it and smothered it. It was the weakest of the ten and the last one to hatch.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

OK here we are at 16 weeks, I told everyone they would be mature at 16 weeks, some didn't believe me...

Two large eggs, small "first" egg in the middle.

Roo on the left, pullet that is probably laying on right standing.

The 2 older hens that laid the bigger eggs, Roo standing in the egg shell supplement.

Rancher

They do grow up fast, don't they! My 26 chicks are also laying. Got a dz more in the brooder that hatched last week.
    All of mine are also barred rocks. I just love that breed and their eggs are such a nice light brown and rich in flavor!
    You got some nice looking birds there!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Good looking chicks indeed! I have 40 something eggs in the incubator from our silver laced polish and a mixture of silver laced wyandotte and Easter egger hens. Can't wait to see what the chicks turn out like!
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

You have Americanas too? All I raise are Barred Rocks. I have a total of 36 hens laying right now and 5 breeding Roo's . I keep my incubator clean and ready to hatch more when I need them though.
    After these chick mature that I have in the brooder, I'm good for a while.
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 04-05-2017 at 12:31 PM.

I have Easter eggers (ameraucana mutts) I did buy a what I think to be full or mostly full ameraucana roo to go with my Easter eggers hens. I am saving the true blue eggs from him to incubate. People around here love them, and for whatever reason the weasel didn't kill any of them.

Pretty eggs but not big enough.
    That's why I like the barred rock. Nice big full eggs. Do you ever get dbl yokes? I candle every egg to make sure it's not a double yoke before they go in the bator. Don't want any freak chickens hatching. LOL
    I do on occasion, get a dbl yoke egg from my BR's.

We get extra large eggs from our brahma hen and our barred rock hens, those go to my pawpaw along with three dozen quail eggs every week. They boil the quail eggs for snacks lol. Too much peeling for me lol.

Agree on the quail. Not worth the hassle for eggs but the birds themselves are some good eatin. I love grilled quail.