Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just finished building 4

Default Just finished building 4

Yep, I think I'm about ready to make another hive. Just finished building and painting 4 more hive boxes for my bees and another dbl hive stand. (10 frames ea.) I just need to finish painting the dbl stand and put the handles on these 4 boxes and fill them with frames. These are medium supers that can also be used as brood boxes. This will give me 4 active hives with two deep brood boxes and three medium supers each.
    That will bring a LOT of honey!

Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Save the bees !

You betcha. If we lose the bees. Mankind will only survive another 4 years. They are a necessity for survival!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

They are lovely!

One question: this Fall my bees were hit by robber bees. Well they were packages this spring and both re-queened themselves, and neither hive is huge.

The thing is, one hive lost all of its honey before I got a mouse guard up to confuse the robbers, and the other hive does not have enough honey to winter over. So I am feeding like mad.

My question: How many pounds of honey does a hive need to winter over in the midwest? I usually figure 2 deeps but I am trying to figure out how much sugar syrup I need to get down them

I am thinking about 100 pounds of edibles per hive? That means I would try to get 25 packages of sugar into the hive that has no honey left and as much sugar as the other hive will take. So far, they have taken the syrup I made from 2 packages of sugar, and today I gave them the syrup from a third. Fortunately October forecast so far is for mild temperatures! It is possible I will be able to feed for a month.
    Last edited by Kansas Terri; 10-10-2016 at 06:51 PM.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Not to derail K.T., but another question from a wanna-beekeeper. Is the paint you use carefully chosen not to affect the bees health, or is this not a consideration ?

Are you using an entrance feeder or an in-hive feeder? Entrance feeders will bring robbers. Also, never feed your extracted frames back to your bees, close to the hives. That causes robbing. If your girls are requeening, then you either have a weak queen that isn't producing enough workers, or she's old, or they are getting ready to swarm, which the don't normally do this time of year. Swarming normally happens in the Spring. In which case, you need to either requeen or remove the new queen cells, or graft your hive queen cells into a NUC box and let them hatch and use one of those to requeen your hive. She'll need to go on her maiden flight to breed.

As for feeding, are you giving them any pollin patties to substitute some of that sugar syrup? If not, You need to do that. My first year, I didn't harvest but a couple of supers and left the rest for the bees. Mine don't consume that much sugar syrup because they have plenty frames of capped honey for winter, plus I give them plenty pollin patties. Usually, each hive takes in about 3 patties ea hive through the winter and about a quart of syrup a week, for about a month before Spring starts producing flowers. I also let them forage my greenhouses. I close them in the evening and open them during the day so they can get to the flowers. That way they can replentish their own honey lockers designated for them. I don't harvest their designated supers. Since the queen doesn't feed herself, I leave the excluders in place. The worker bring the food to her.

Hope that helps. As per the Midwest. My climate is very different from yours so I really can't estimate what your bees might need through the winter. Might be better to ask someone with simular climate conditions. We rarely get below freezing here in Central Texas and we might get some snow flurries once every 7 or 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansas Terri View Post
    They are lovely!

One question: this Fall my bees were hit by robber bees. Well they were packages this spring and both re-queened themselves, and neither hive is huge.

The thing is, one hive lost all of its honey before I got a mouse guard up to confuse the robbers, and the other hive does not have enough honey to winter over. So I am feeding like mad.

My question: How many pounds of honey does a hive need to winter over in the midwest? I usually figure 2 deeps but I am trying to figure out how much sugar syrup I need to get down them

I am thinking about 100 pounds of edibles per hive? That means I would try to get 25 packages of sugar into the hive that has no honey left and as much sugar as the other hive will take. So far, they have taken the syrup I made from 2 packages of sugar, and today I gave them the syrup from a third. Fortunately October forecast so far is for mild temperatures! It is possible I will be able to feed for a month.
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 10-10-2016 at 08:41 PM.

It's not really an issue as long as you let the paint cure at least two to three weeks outside before installing your bees. I use Valspar latex enamel, interior/exterior. Satin...Soap and water clean up

You don't paint the inside of your hive. Just the outside. The wood inside needs to be untreated and natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    Not to derail K.T., but another question from a wanna-beekeeper. Is the paint you use carefully chosen not to affect the bees health, or is this not a consideration ?

As I have always been interested in Bees, the term Robber Bees is funny!
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Skeeter, you should! We/they, need all the help they can get and your garden will thank you for it! Plus free, healthy honey as a bonus!

Finished these 4 hive bodies and finished painting the dbl stand. Today, I'm building 40 more frames to fill them with. I'm about ready for the Spring explosion! Hehe! Still need to build another hive bottom board and inner cover for the new hive but those are easy and take no time to build.

Here's my two new finished hives sitting on a pallet.

And here's the finished dbl hive stand before I finished painting it.