Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: putting up a new telescoping mast.

Nicor,

We are working 1.990 MHZ for the last 30 minutes. Good copy on him with the exception of the occasional noise level. About 20 over on the meter. We are running 100 PEP on our units as we tried down about 30 percent but the static noise levels are rising of late.

We are thinking as the summer noise level comes along we will have to go to 75 meters and use mostly the extra portion of the band. I've not tried my new amplifier as of yet...soon enough I will try it and see how it works...no hurry.

Figured out that my notch filter was set to far to one side...basically operator error. Once corrected it worked out fine with the exception of the occasional high noise level.

Discussing ground rods for our systems and general rag chewing.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

9:04 CDT, tuned in, nothing heard but static.
    doesn't surprise me, this dipole isn't made for that low and running it vertical also.

Subject of ground rods, I had to sink one right outside my window, 8 ft.
    Need to sink a 10ft down also.

They're on the eastern side, the east coast...............
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
    9:04 CDT, tuned in, nothing heard but static.
    doesn't surprise me, this dipole isn't made for that low and running it vertical also.

Subject of ground rods, I had to sink one right outside my window, 8 ft.
    Need to sink a 10ft down also.
    Yeah...Flock6 is correct. Nine in CDT is 10 pm here in EST. I think 8 pm here would be about 7 pm in CDT where you are located.

We talked about 45 to 50 minutes and then wrapped it up. We still need to find a frequency which will work in the daytime and are talking about 75 to 40 meters and possibly 17 meters. Not sure ..we will have to work it out by trial and error.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Have done AM 40m 30 watts at night (late evening Jan 20, 2017) to Mount Solon, VA. (once, then didn't bother getting on radio again).

Nicor,

Where abouts are you in the mid west? Near what major city or township?? I am on the Chesapeake Bay...of Virginia....around Norfolk, Virginia.

Orangetom

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    Nicor,

Where abouts are you in the mid west? Near what major city or township?? I am on the Chesapeake Bay...of Virginia....around Norfolk, Virginia.

Orangetom
    100 miles east of Dallas and 100 miles west of Shreveport, La.

Just got off 75 meters with my friend out in Tennessee. We talked on 3.605 MHZ on LSB...where we can use our extra class privileges. It is much quieter down there at the lower limit....according to the band plan we have. Talked for about 50 minutes. Copy was good..but occasionally the noise level came up to crowd us. I ran about 85 watts. We are both thinking that as the summer comes along and the heat rises..the noise level will do the same.

I am going to run a better external round rod and a line to this shack...before trying to tune this new Ameitron 811H Amplifier. I am planning to keep it around 200 watts to get us just above most of the noise level. My Amp is set up for 115 Volts AC. My friend is planning to put 220 Volts AC into his radio shack for his amp.

The 160 meter mobile antenna I built was unsuccessful. Not sure as to why but have put it away for now.

Raised back up my telescoping mast after lowering it for all the wind we had the last couple of days. I put up guy wires on it and extended it as far as I could get it.

It is working fine.

Nicor,

100 miles east of Dallas and 100 miles west of Shreveport, La.

Ahhhh..ok...your in 5 land.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 04-09-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Tried my new Ameritron 811 H amplifier tonight. It works now that I have figured out how to adjust and drive it.

We worked 3.625 MHZ tonight as 3.605 MHZ was in use. I only briefly used the amp and then shut it down. About 250 watts is what it worked out to be. It got me over the noise and much stronger into Tennessee.

Next time I am going to try it on 160 Meters.

My friend out in Tennessee needs to run 220 Volts AC into his radio shack for his amp. As I recall his amp is about 1.5 KW...he is going to need 220 Volts AC for that amp.

Orangetom