Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: putting up a new telescoping mast.

Yep we are four land here as well.

G5RV is a good all around antenna. Very handy to use for short term use. we used to put one up for Field Day.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by hadite81 View Post
    Yep,
    Fairly new to the hobby. I have been playing on HF recently and was able to work France on 15 and 20, Venezuela and Cuba on 17 and Nicaragua on 15 yesterday running 100 watts.
    Great going hadite81. I like 17 best in the long range bands..as it is not usually so crowded and also there are not as many high powered stations as you find on 20 meters. Same thing with 15 and 12 meters.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Well if we aren't as solar minimum we are darn close, seems the bands are getting better the last few weeks, especially 75m and 40m, even had some openings on 10m. Everyone have a Great Thanksgiving !

Quote Originally Posted by jnr0104 View Post
    Well if we aren't as solar minimum we are darn close, seems the bands are getting better the last few weeks, especially 75m and 40m, even had some openings on 10m. Everyone have a Great Thanksgiving !

thanks jnr104. You and your family too.

73 to you and your house,

Orangetom

I was not quite satisfied with the lay out of this antenna attached to this telescoping mast but it did make the trip to my friends house in Eastern Tennessee.

I have since first putting it up restrung it and now have about 500 feet of 12 gauge black insulated stranded wire up in the air. Today I restrung two portions of it to put it higher up in the air ...some 25 feet higher by shooting a fishing line up higher and then reeling back some 1/8 diameter nylon line back to suspend it on the wire and pull it up..to a better Height. I did the same in another location and now it is much higher up overall.

Tonight ..later on I hope to catch my friend out in Tennessee again and see how it works...on 160 meters.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    I was not quite satisfied with the lay out of this antenna attached to this telescoping mast but it did make the trip to my friends house in Eastern Tennessee.

I have since first putting it up restrung it and now have about 500 feet of 12 gauge black insulated stranded wire up in the air. Today I restrung two portions of it to put it higher up in the air ...some 25 feet higher by shooting a fishing line up higher and then reeling back some 1/8 diameter nylon line back to suspend it on the wire and pull it up..to a better Height. I did the same in another location and now it is much higher up overall.

Tonight ..later on I hope to catch my friend out in Tennessee again and see how it works...on 160 meters.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Waiting on results of 160m

What is your setup now, if not based on your OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
    Waiting on results of 160m

What is your setup now, if not based on your OP.

Set up now is about 500 feet of 12 gauge black insulated stranded wire from Lowes...about $40.00 to $50.00 per roll. I have since purchased a spare roll to keep in the garage should I need it.

Most of the line is strung around the yard up in the tops of the trees between some 50 to 80 feet and varying in places due to the height of the trees. One section of it runs verticle in the same line..down towards the ground some 60 feet and then back up before continuing around this property. It is basically a Delta Loop with a vertical section in it.

It has worked out well out to Tennessee...but my friend is now back in town working on his house to get it ready for market before heading back up.

The big adjustment for the long wave bands seems to have been the realization that I needed to get the feed point a bit higher up off the roof line of the house ..then it worked out fine on 160 and 75. I can copy him better on 160 and 75 meters out there than can I here locally. Odd as that may seem. Locally we tend to use simplex on 2 meter SSB from the radio shack. We enjoy that just fine for local traffic around here when he is in town.

I have raised up a few sections which were sagging due to the weight of the line even though it worked fine on 160. I figure it cannot hurt.
    I have also lowered my mast for some adjustments while he is still in town and before he ships back out to the mountains. Will be getting the mast back up in a few days.

But it worked out fine the last time I spoke with him on 160m.

Have also received a new Ameritron AL 811 H amplifier. I have put it in line but not tried it in any QSO's as of yet. When the mast gets back up I'll give it a go. I am interested in getting up to about 200 to 300 watts to get above the high noise levels expected during the hot summer months on the long wave bands..static crashes et al. If we don't need it we will not be running power but what is in the radio. We tend to keep it simple if possible.

My friend also has several amps but none hooked in line as of yet. To busy with moving and getting his house here ready for sale .

We have made the trip once connected..on 160 and dialed our power back to about 30 watts and still been able to maintain comms..but that is during the more quiet part of the year. I expect more difficulty during the warmer months.

If I am at work and have slack time I sometimes catch him in the evenings, when he is in town, on my Baofeng BF F8HP walkie talkie from my backpack/daily BOB. I can even go up to the roof of our building some 85 feet up for more signal if need be. This too works out fine on FM line of sight transmissions...particularly should we need to work simplex..rather than repeaters

Thanks Nicor,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 03-29-2017 at 12:43 PM.

well, I don't know. I have 500 ft of 18ga.
    I am very limited in space.
    just thinking. just about lost all interest in HAM really.

Need something to give me a kick to do something.
    Don't care for rag chew, so worked digital. That got boring in a hurry with all that being required is select the different buttons.

If you can, let me know when ur going to be on. 99% I will not be able to pick your signal up.
    But it something to do and maybe peak my interest again.

Thanks,
    Nicor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
    well, I don't know. I have 500 ft of 18ga.
    I am very limited in space.
    just thinking. just about lost all interest in HAM really.

Need something to give me a kick to do something.
    Don't care for rag chew, so worked digital. That got boring in a hurry with all that being required is select the different buttons.

If you can, let me know when ur going to be on. 99% I will not be able to pick your signal up.
    But it something to do and maybe peak my interest again.

Thanks,
    Nicor.

No problem Nicor...be glad to help.

Understand about the limited space. I just happen to have a yard big enough to accommodate that much wire. Were I in a smaller space I would figure out something more compact with wire...rhombic or such antenna. Several turns around the property.

I too am not necessarily into rag chew per se...unless in certain company. The topic line has to be interesting. On my shortwave receiver at work during slack time..I mostly try to copy CW on the HF bands until I get overloaded/saturated and then put it down...for awhile. Want to up my CW skills.

One more thing NICOR...my interest in Ham is not necessarily for rag chewing per se. Rag chewing with the small crowd for whom I have interest....is a side light ..not the most important feature of my interest in the hobby.

My main interest is if the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI. A means of getting out or receiving from some distance when most other things on which we depend are down. This is Hurricane country....in addition to the type of Two Legged, Chaos oriented, wildlife they are breeding with pride everywhere in this country.

That is why I do it...and why I have chosen to keep in touch with my friend some 400 plus miles away....on a secondary back up system. A system not dependent on phone lines, computer networks, or cell phone towers.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 03-30-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Nicor,

If you get this ...I got in touch with my friend out in Tennessee and I plan to try to work his station on 1.900 MHZ this evening EST at some 8 to 9PM. That is the time window for which we are looking.

If you have a short wave set or some of these new fangled listen to ham/short wave via your computer ..that is where we will be between 8 and 9PM.

I got my mast and long wire loop antenna back up once again today after making some further adjustments but have only been able to try it out locally on 11 meters/CB frequencies. Looking foreward to trying it out on 160 meters in about an hour and a half.

Thanks,
    Orangetom