Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for Motor Scooter

Default Time for Motor Scooter

Bucket list item. My truck is paid off next month, and I just might not have enough monthly payments, so time to get a Harley. I've had a few bikes in my life, but not in a while, and never a HD. I'm drooling over the 03 Heritage Springer. It was the last year they made them, and they look so sharp. There are a few obvious downsides that people talk about like a less effective front brake, and maybe a less smooth ride due to front suspension.

I know that there are some bike riders here, so got any thoughts?
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

Actually King, I have been putting a lot of thought into a bike lately. Good MPG, easily EMP proofed, and I have a daughter 10 hours away in college. So, for totally different reasons I have been on the same wave-link. Also available are 5 gallon fuel panniers for most bikes. I was looking at something a little more reserved like a KLR-650 or BMW 650 Adventure, but a HD would be a nice choice if I could rely on street only.

Apparently this model I'm looking at is stock carb'ed, but can be factory or aftermarket upgraded to EFI, another perk of this particular model. Since I will be buying used, if it can be upgraded to EFI, it can be downgraded to carb, so yea not difficult to slap a carb on it, but no, it isn't offroad ready, like you are thinking.
    Last edited by KINGCHIP; 09-07-2016 at 09:41 PM.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

get the springer just cause it is cool and has such a classic look without being a old bike. Make sure the bushing in the front end are snug or get it checked out, makes for better safer handling.

Be aware that older folks who get back into riding and buy a big bike are over represented in accidents and fatalities.

Carbs or fuel injection can both give problems as well as the charging system and if it has over 35K miles on the engine plan on repairs if you want to ride a lot of miles.

As far as emp i have a 77 suzkuki 750 with points ignition and the minor things are fixable with my leatherman. I also have dual sport tires on it so it does ok on to track jeep trails. Most bikes have a voltage regulator/rectifier that might be a problem for emp.

The KLR and BMW 650 for me are really different bikes, the KLR is fairly simple and cheap to keep running and the bMW is a pain even to change the oil.

I've found three around the country so far. It's something of a collector because it's a 100 yr anniversary edition, and yea, I like the old classic look. Most miles of the three is 15K. I've never been in a wreck or played one down, so would be new to that alright and the old certainly fits. I did survive riding a Honda 750 Four in Laredo, Tx for a few years, although there were a few times that downshift and romp on it were all that saved me from a T-Bone. I live more in the country and would be riding mostly backroads, so I think gravel and wildlife would be my biggest threats.

Been drooling over a royal enfield.
    Trust. It's what's for dinner.

Working in a shop here in montana I saw more bikes damaged from wildlife encounters than from being hit by cars. Another major cause of death and injury is consuming alcohol and riding.

somehow it fits Archaic weapon, royal enfield. how about a Ural two wheel drive sidecar outfit?

One of the businesses I deal with (blades, survival kit, surplus, finally getting up and moving) has some of those in the dealer catalog. Haha. Don't think I haven't thought about it. Hahaha.

Looking at upgrading the whole traveling circus and sleep center deal into a BOV at some point, if business continues. Started looking hard at something along these lines as a " 'round towner" once I get situated in a spot I like.
    Trust. It's what's for dinner.

After an EMP, i'm not sure I would want to ride a Harley around town or even in the countryside and announce my arrival with loud pipes.

I have a KLR 250, and an XR200......nice quiet, efficient bikes, and alot of fun.

Stock harleys are quiet. When I worked at a dealership that sold harleys we would uncrate them and then throw a bunch of chrome at them and of course put on loud pipes.

Archaic let me know if you are looking for something simple, cheap and older. I just worked on a 79 honda 90 with high and low range four speed, automatic clutch, luggage rack to pack a deer on and 100 MPG. www.moto406.com