Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time for Motor Scooter

Gentlemen...

Thanks for the update. dual sport. I had thought that they were still called Enduro.

Nonetheless thanks for the update.

I like the looks of that TW 200 but am interested in a bit bigger gas tank.

displacement somewhere between 200 and 400 cc's

Not a lot of bells and whistles...but the ability to go on or off road as needed. I would most likely be taking it about town for smaller loads as do I currently with my Honda Ruckus with the double wide milk carton on the back.

Thanks again Gentlemen for the update on the terminology. I will take my time in hunting down what I want...but appreciate any information I can get.

Orangetom

There is a slightly larger aftermarket tank for it.
    Doesn't add much, I think only about a gal.
    don't remember, the rider told me he had put it one on. Nothing to really give it range that the larger bike have available for them.

The DRZ is good bike, what turned me off the DRZ was the weight and the height.

The KTM and KLR just have too much plastic that will break if you lay it down.
    Another rider I rode with on CO BDR, dropped his bike and shattered the plastic side faring.
    Had to duck tape it back together.

here is pic of bike packed to go fishing.
    If off road roaming I leave the trailer at home.
    dr650_motomule.jpg
    Last edited by Nicor; 11-19-2016 at 03:58 PM.

yeah..Nicor..I agree...

Even with full sized Bikes I see in the bike parking spaces at work...out on the side of the street..there is a lot of plastic. But you have a good point there.

Is that a mono wheel trailer set up you have there ? From whence did you obtain it?? I've not thought of a mono wheeled trailer but it makes sense as long as your load is not to much.

Am I Understanding what I am seeing in the photo...is that your 650?? of which you spoke earlier??

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    yeah..Nicor..I agree...

Even with full sized Bikes I see in the bike parking spaces at work...out on the side of the street..there is a lot of plastic. But you have a good point there.

Is that a mono wheel trailer set up you have there ? From whence did you obtain it?? I've not thought of a mono wheeled trailer but it makes sense as long as your load is not to much.

Am I Understanding what I am seeing in the photo...is that your 650?? of which you spoke earlier??

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Yes, that is my DR, it is a 2002 DR650SE.
    The trailer is mono and is called a MotoMule manufactured in Oregon, not to be confused with the 2 wheeled engine powered Motomule that hunters use a lot.
    http://www.moto-mule.com/shop/

I mentioned before I had changed a lot of the stock items.
    6.6 gal tank, handle bars raised, heavy front/rear spring, top rack, side racks, wheel bearings are double sealed,
    rejected the carb to larger jets, cut the top out of the air box for it to breath better, skid plate, added center stand is heavy but make for easier changing of tires when in the outback.
    carry both 14 and 15 tooth front sprocket for when to gear for off/on road.

The stock chain is 525, heavy but it lasts and less trouble.
    Some owners drop to a 520 lighter, but also chain not as heavy duty.

I have been running Dunlop D606 front/rear, but only get about 3k miles out of them.
    Switched to Kenda K270 front/rear, don't really expect any better mileage out of those either.

this last chain I just replaced lasted for 20k miles. DID X-RING VX Chain.
    replaced with same.

I do my best to keep my bike up and ready to go.
    Don't scrimp. When there is not a town within a 100 mile radius, you don't want to break down.

If ur planning on using ur bike for any kind of BOV, don't skimp on quality.

I can cruise at 70, even 80... top speed I have had it (not saying).
    Last edited by Nicor; 11-19-2016 at 07:17 PM.

Wow!! good sensible choices Nicor. Particularly in view of the understanding that you are way out there....from help.

Thanks for the update.

Orangetom

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Check out the ThumperTalk forums for anything dirt or dual sport related too. Shortly after I got my DRZ I had the carb rejetted and increased the compression following the recommendations from that site, one of the regulars there tested various combinations on a dyno tester (IIRC). I'm not much of a mechanic, took it into the shop for that and gave them the instructions and part numbers. Lowered the gearing (in stages) from the stock 15/45 to 13/47 from recommendations there, lost top end speed but much happier with the low end torque. Most of my riding is in first through third gear. Also bought a rear cargo rack and radiator guards custom made by members there, better than anything available commercially (at the time anyway).

Dunlop D606 is what I'm using on the front too, and wouldn't take any bike offroad with the stock skid plate. Was riding alone down in Alabama a few years back and lost it on a hill (frickin' red clay), would have busted the water pump if it wasn't for the aftermarket skid plate I had on it. Looks like you added case guards too Nicor? A brake or gear lever busting the case on a fall would make for a long walk.
    Last edited by marked; 11-20-2016 at 08:11 AM.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.