Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for Motor Scooter

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

https://youtu.be/K9DSEwGBprY

On order now...

Actually, the HD is pretty cool,too...
    Last edited by HatetosayItoldyouso...; 09-09-2016 at 02:33 PM.
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Yea, looked at that one and Bike is OK, also. That was the main stock color for the Centennial edition, and yea, Harley has a bunch of anniversary editions. The other colors are a Pearl or off white, and a gunmetal blue. I like the one at an Indian dealer in Sturgis. Being cheap, it seems much cheaper to buy used with as many accessories already on it. I think I like that one best. There are a few more in Chappell Hill, NC, I think it is, but don't like the seat/back bar, luggage rack as much. Has to be as comfortable as possible for wife also, so I'm not sure I'd want to buy that one, as it appears that a passenger is included in the deal. Although it would seem like the best deal all around, my wife doesn't always agree with my savings methods.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I don't understand why you would want a street bike for when SHTF.
    I want something that if the road is blocked I can darn sure go another way off road or on badly washed out county roads,
    meaning no pavement left and a gully running right down the middle all the way to the top of the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
    I don't understand why you would want a street bike for when SHTF.
    I want something that if the road is blocked I can darn sure go another way off road or on badly washed out county roads,
    meaning no pavement left and a gully running right down the middle all the way to the top of the hill.
    Agree....do they not call this category Enduro?? I may have this incorrect.. but I am trying to describe an on road/off road set up...not strictly a dirt bike but one with an oversized gas tank and also on/off road tires....sufficient horsepower..not to much engine ....but sufficient. Sufficient to get off the beaten path if necessary....but also suitably operate on the paved road as necessary.

Am I describing this correctly???

I often take one of those scooters to and fro work...a Honda ruckus. I like this set up as I don't have to inspect or insure it.
    But I have also thought of two wheels as a shtf or bug out vehicle...yet realize this scooter will not hack it.

Until talking to some bikers...dirt bikers...it was they who told me that you can get oversized or larger gas tanks for bikes. This is what got me to take notice of this type of machine as a SH
    TF...type bug out vehicle.

It seems that in the last 20 or so years this category of bike has made significant changes/improvements. I am however ...dubious about electronic type ignitions....long term. EMP and that sort of thing.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Well, I'm not as worried about offroad, I have a seriously tricked out Jeep CJ for that. I don't know about offroad. Those dirtbikes are loud. Even if you are offroad people can hear you a mile away, and in Texas it's mostly private land, so it's not like you can travel far without running into either a fence, or the owner of the fence you just crossed. Now If I bugout, It's a 4 hour drive on highways to the BOL. If bugging out, I will travel a less direct route, and need to cross a few rivers, but once about halfway there, I can hit the system of dirt roads to get to my destination. Speed will be the answer for the first half of the trip, and stealth the second half.

Back to bikes, it won't be my choice for BO, it's a toy. I have too much stuff to carry to be limited to a bike.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    Agree....do they not call this category Enduro?? I may have this incorrect.. but I am trying to describe an on road/off road set up...not strictly a dirt bike but one with an oversized gas tank and also on/off road tires....sufficient horsepower..not to much engine ....but sufficient. Sufficient to get off the beaten path if necessary....but also suitably operate on the paved road as necessary.

Am I describing this correctly???

I often take one of those scooters to and fro work...a Honda ruckus. I like this set up as I don't have to inspect or insure it.
    But I have also thought of two wheels as a shtf or bug out vehicle...yet realize this scooter will not hack it.

Until talking to some bikers...dirt bikers...it was they who told me that you can get oversized or larger gas tanks for bikes. This is what got me to take notice of this type of machine as a SH
    TF...type bug out vehicle.

It seems that in the last 20 or so years this category of bike has made significant changes/improvements. I am however ...dubious about electronic type ignitions....long term. EMP and that sort of thing.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    The name for those types is Dual Sport, a street legal dirt bike (sorta).
    I have a DR650SE, oversize tank 6.6 gals (300 mile range). Tires are a tad bigger, not much.
    There is a tank that is over 8 gals, but if you drop the bike that could very well be an added 56lbs you trying to pickup.
    My bike full tank, packed for rough trails and tent camping weighs in at about 425lbs.

Not loud like Kingchip is stating. True dirt bike is loud and some modified dual sports are loud... That's not for me.

Stock factory dual sport is less then 95 Db. Idle Db is less than 75.
    Less than a lot of cars, and for sure not as loud as the diesel pickups around town.

I think there a link somewhere on this forum on what my bike looks like packed and ready to go.

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Tom - We use to call them enduros in the 70's/80's but dual sport seems to be the popular name now. They're a compromise, and "off road" can mean different things to different people. The choice of which class of dual sport and how you equip it really depends on how you plan to use it. ie, do you want more of a dirt bike that is street legal, or more a street bike that is dirt capable?

To Chip's point on just looking for a new toy, that was more my intent with my DRZ400 (which I mod'ed to be more a street-legal motocross bike). It's for pleasure riding, not for regular transportation or a BOV, but I did build it into our bugout plan. It'll ride on a trailer hitch carrier on our F-150 4x4 "off road" truck. Off road in quotes there cause the truck is mostly stock so "off road" is a bit of a stretch, it's a street truck with some off road capability and pairs up nicely with the bike that is really an off road machine with some street capability. In a worst case scenario, stuck in stopped traffic with no other options, then abandon the truck and finish the bugout on the bike.

For a true BOV bike I'd rather have Nicor's DR650, and he's right that they aren't loud like a 2-stroke dirt bike is. But if stealth isn't required, then nothing funner imo than a 2-stroke bike screaming when you got 'er in the power band and the smell of burning 2-stroke oil.

(BTW Chip, was looking through old pics hoping to find one of my buddy's Harley Baja he rode in the 70's - but couldn't find one. Best of both worlds for ya, a dirt bike AND a HD in one lol).
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

@marked,

I road the N.M. BDR back in June with another rider. He was on a TW200.
    For what that bike did on the interstate and off road, that bike is something else.
    Cruised on I10 at 65mph and it held its own both on road and off, even loaded.
    He did some suspension modes to carry the camping load.

I think it does not have electronic ignition, but points and such like the 'old times'.
    Liked the tires on that bike, large width there on front/rear. Thinking it could ride on top of the sand, mud, etc.
    The front tire almost twice as wide as the rear on my DR and that back, freaking thing was wide.
    Light, easier to pick or throw around what ever u ride on.

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Had to google it, looks like one friends of our family had back in the 80's. They only had the one, and Dad, Mom, and their teenage daughter could all ride it since it wasn't too tall. Never rode one but have to agree on the tires.

I swapped out the 120 width stock rear tire (left) on mine for a 180 TerraFlex, not for help staying on top of the sand but for more surface area for biting in. Difference was like night and day, especially in wet/damp sand. It doesn't look much wider but the knobs sticking out the side give it the extra width. Just barely fits between the swingarm without rubbing.

Great tire for dirt, but downright dangerous on wet pavement - not much rubber on the road.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.