Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surviving a hurricane

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Good story...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic Weapon View Post
    One of the things that got me into "archaic weapons" is because they are things I could make and rely on after a hurricane. Utilizing the junk to hunt and arm myself was a survival skill long before it became a hobby.

29 days is a hard haul.
    The only thing that saved us was we had some old camping equipment in the spare room. If I remember correctly, we had a couple of ice chests, a couple of those old fashioned wick-type lanterns, and a coleman stove with a couple of propane bottles. Also, I had been buying canned goods in bulk, to save money, and kept a pretty well stocked pantry with dried goods like cereals, rice, pasta, etc. We had a case of canned green beans and a couple of cases of canned spaghetti-o type things, beanie weenies, etc. To this day my son can't eat green beans because he never got over the trauma of having to eat them at every meal that month!

Before the storm hit I had been told to fill the bathtub with water and I also put aside as much drinking water as I could. This was before bottled water, so I used every jar, pitcher, and empty milk jug I could find. After the first week without power, there were a couple of stores that came back on with generator power, and a couple of philanthropic organizations provided canned drinks for people in need, so we were covered there.

I just wished I'd known then about things like a battery-operated radio, because we didn't have any way of getting news the first few days and that was just very frightening. Also, I'd have had a handgun.

Nothing wrong with any of that. Hard thing, to figure out what you need for a situation like that. Very impressive that you went to work. I would not have been able to do it...no power, no need for cash, no me working myself to death. haha.
    Trust. It's what's for dinner.

Yeah, the firearms thing. I'm relatively new to that aspect........

Joe - NY

Consider a crank up type radio. Mine have phone charging capabilities as well. Not that there would be a tower left standing, or the frequency would not be inundated and hard to get through, but nice to have a phone these days.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

Been looking at adding a little solar unit to my kit, maybe update the thing a few centuries. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic Weapon View Post
    Been looking at adding a little solar unit to my kit, maybe update the thing a few centuries. haha.
    I want to put a little solar unit on my house, just enough to get by with lights during a hurricane. I've read a little bit about solar on the RV forums; thought about putting a couple of 100 watt panels on my Winnebago so I can do some boondocking. Campgrounds at $45/night, crowded, dogs barking, kids running through my site, just doesn't appeal to me. Plus the $45/night goes a good ways towards the gas tank when it's time to move on.

Been thinking on getting a camper of some type for work...most places will let us camp in the parking area for free, so all of the hotel cash can go into paying for a vehicle. Then I have a doubled up BOV for hurricane season.

I bought mine from my elderly neighbors - they bought it new in 1996 and hadn't used it much. One good thing even though it was old was it had been parked in their backyard and hooked up to power rather than stored, and the elderly man went outside and cranked it a couple of times a week. I think it was his man-cave to get out of the house when he needed. Anyway if you buy one consider getting it from a private owner rather than a dealership and see if it has been stored. RVs that have been in storage facilities aren't usually cranked and especially the generator run like they should be. Mine's been in storage now for 3 months and I'm going to get it out next week and prep it for some fall travel. Usually I never leave it uncranked for anywhere near that long.

I paid $8500 for mine, it had only 15K original one-owner miles on it, bathroom shower had never been used. They basically just bought it to tailgate and take from GA to FLA two or three times a year and during football season.

*******, I could go for a deal like that right about now!