Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garden is doing too good?

Default Garden is doing too good?

LOL, processed over 100 lbs of tomatoes in the last 3 days. I cant stand letting them go to waste. Have about another bushel on the counter top. Lots of spaghetti sauce, some stewed tomatoes. Also canned a bunch of grape jelly from the vineyard out back. Ready for a nap...

better too much than not enough. Our maters are doing good too, but my corn sucks.

Jealous. I've only got a few producing right now. These 105* days we had till last week have just mangled the plants. They're coming back slowly, but I'm not impressed with this year's production so far. Melons and cucumbers are doing great, and I've got tons of spinach and greens, but everything else is stinko.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Okra a, peppers,nd acorn squash is all we are getting now. Maters gave it up and deer got all my melons. Cukes never did anything this year. Need to get my taters xug, but we had some rain eery day for the last week. Gonna try tomorrow after work.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Yeah, deer ate a lot of my corn, but I managed to can a bit of it. So much rain here, tomatoes are splitting wide open, but that doesn't bother me. I figure the bugs inside just add protein.

My tomatoes quit about a month ago but I cut them back to about a foot tall again to see what happens for fall crop. Never tried this before so going to learn something.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

Wyatte, you should sun dry some of those tomatoes and store them in a little olive oil with seasonings. Finely chopped Basil, onions and green peppers and add a tsp of brochettes.
    It's TDF on just about anything to spice up an antree'.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by WyatteSmith View Post
    LOL, processed over 100 lbs of tomatoes in the last 3 days. I cant stand letting them go to waste. Have about another bushel on the counter top. Lots of spaghetti sauce, some stewed tomatoes. Also canned a bunch of grape jelly from the vineyard out back. Ready for a nap...
    Haven't bought my land yet. Still saving. Went to a berry farm and picked about 5 lbs and made a dozen jars or red raspberry preserves though. Tomatoes did ok and i'vve managed to produce two batches of tomato basil soup for those cold winter days. Had to move a lot of stuff this year and paid the price. Soft neck garlic produced but they are small. Hard neck faired much better. Potatoes sucked the butt as did the corn. Frost got my first planting of potatoes and then pests did the rest. Gonna have to do some research and re-evaluate. Something's up with cucs this year... and every year for that matter. Even changed the dirt in the whiskey barrel and still didn't get but two or three cucs from two plants. Coulda been a placement issue, but they did what they always do which seems to be wither and die for no apparent reason. Planted watermelon and canteloups and got exactly one friggin' fruit from each plant. There were an a$$load of flowers on both and only got one...

Thank goodness we aren't homesteading yet cuz' we'd be starving this winter... direct quote from the missus by the way.
    Hannibal ad portas

@ theauther, is that whiskey barrel made of treated wood? Lots of them use cyanide to keep the termites away.

@ Camo, great idea! Could pressure can little half pints of the stuff. Would be terrific in the middle of the winter to have.

One other tip. my great grandma was over the other day and told me the day before frost to pick all of the green tomatoes. Layout a sheet of construction paper on the basement floor. And those maters will ripen over the following 4 months providing red ripe tomatoes well into the winter. How cool! Thought I would share.

Quote Originally Posted by WyatteSmith View Post
    @ theauther, is that whiskey barrel made of treated wood? Lots of them use cyanide to keep the termites away.
    $&@&##$^%@#%*@#%@#%@%#&##$*&$%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like they are now whiskey flower pots for the wifey! Biscuits and f****** gravy!!! They aren't treated that I can see in terms of being constructed from pressure treated lumber. They're oak as far as I can tell. At least that is how they were marketed.

Cammy had suggested using what she does for big 'pots' like that which are the old feed barrels. Time to source those....

$#@^$@@^$#@$#@^*%$$##%^#%%^^$#^%!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hannibal ad portas