Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garden is doing too good?

My first try canning salsa today! That was fun. Turned out great, took 30lbs of maters, onions, peppers and some spices into 19 pints of chunky pressure canned salsa. Yum!

Awesome !! I made spaghetti sauce a couple weeks ago for the first time. Same ingredients more or less, hardest thing was skinning the frickin maters. think I'd rather have someone hit me with a 2x4 than skin maters again.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Awesome !! I made spaghetti sauce a couple weeks ago for the first time. Same ingredients more or less, hardest thing was skinning the frickin maters. think I'd rather have someone hit me with a 2x4 than skin maters again.

I haven't even felt like skinning was necessary especially since we run everything thru the food processor.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    BamBam, I use a Norco Sauce Master. You just load the hopper with tomatoes and turn the handle. Sauce comes out with no seeds or stems or skin. Amazing really. Before I had this tool, I just dipped them in boiling water for 45 seconds, then put them in ice water for 1 minute. The skins slide right off.

When I make salsa, I don't boil or use a sauce maker. I cut my tomatoes in quarters and put them in a deep metal pan and season them, then roast them. The skins are part of the best flavor and roasting them makes the skins just as tender as the meat inside them. Incredible rich flavor and the salsa turns our thicker.

If you want a thinner salsa, you can add a couple of pealed raw tomatoes to the batch but I like thicker salsa. I use mine to cook with too.
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 08-31-2016 at 08:58 AM.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I'm throwing that recipe away.

Another 100 lbs of maters picked today. Man, the weather is good this year. Might need a second pressure canner..

You really should consider sun drying some of those. Season them first, then sun dry. From there you can pkg them or put them in olive oil and process them in a water bath canner. I've put up about 80 lbs of sun dried this year and somewhere around 25 cases plus of quart jars of salsa, stewed and sauces and some went into stews to store. Also gave some away to friends and family. I still have a few still on the vines but we will probable eat those.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

What do you season yours with?

I season mine simple with salt, fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder, a little bit of ground parsley and greek basil. Sometimes i'll add some all spice and cilli powder and leave out the salt. Then..
    Sometimes I'll leave out the basil and add just a hint of ground cloves and a touch of ground ginger. Gives them a great oriental flavor.