Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Comms Inquiry

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
    Perhaps, you all missed it but the only thing I dont miss that was stolen was the crappy Cobra comms. The only thing I will not be rebuying. Likely will go with one of the suggestions. Thanks.
    No..not at all. I did not miss it. I have two of those Midland brand type comms. I don't recommend them at all. The Baofengs I have ...I have programmed those frequencies into them way at the end of the memory storage bank. Out there by themselves separated from my regular storage. This on all the Baofengs I own. The Baofeng puts out one watt on the frequencies at which those Cobra type comms work...twice the power. Those little cobra type radios are limited to half a watt.

I have them in there primarily to monitor in an emergency. I do not much use them on those frequencies.

In the rest of the memory banks I have both simplex and duplex ham frequencies stored. These other frequencies I do use a lot. There are some 127 memory slots in the Baofengs I own.

I also don t know if anyone told you but the Baofeng radios will also receive the FM broadcasting bands on them. It is mono but it is decent sound if you have nothing else.

But no...I did not miss what you stated.

In a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI situation anyone using those Cobra type GMRS/FRS radios is most likely very close to your location...at only half a watt. You might want to know this information under those conditions..without transmitting yourself .. two legged wildlife. Most of these people will also know little to nothing about comms but what they saw on television or movies.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 11-13-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Thought channel 9 was the emergency channel on the cobra, but got no response on any of the channels. One thing I do not miss that was stolen is the crappy cobra comms.
    OK since everybody else has been nice to you, I'll tell it like it is... those are not Citizen Band Radios, i.e. they are not CB's There is not a channel 9 for emergencies, there is no channel for truckers, because those are not CB radios, yes they have channels but not CB channels. They are FRS/GMRS band radios, low wattage, line of sight, no trees, etc.

Perhaps, you all missed it but the only thing I dont miss that was stolen was the crappy Cobra comms. The only thing I will not be rebuying. Likely will go with one of the suggestions. Thanks.
    There is probably nothing crappy about the Cobra radios (comms?), you didn't have anything stolen, you just didn't do any research into the radios, ask here before you buy.

You should have read more into a Motorola i355 cell phone that also has a walkie talkie mode, which at .7 watts and digital on 900 Mhz makes it a much better and secure radio, these cell phones are surplus now, and used to go for $5.00 on Ebay (not any longer). I've tested them for 7 miles in a hilly but tree free distance test. They are also line of sight.

Rancher

Anyone have any xp on the Motorola gm360, vhf/uhf radios?

Dug one out of a box in storage. We use to use these for scanning bands in iraq.