Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NW Ohio just getting started

Default NW Ohio just getting started

My name is Chris, i'm 51. My wife and 2 grown kids have lived a simple life on our 10 acre farm for over 20 years. We have horses, min. donkeys, about 20 free range chickens, some guinea fowl, and ducks. We have cut/split/stacked/burned about 5 cords of hardwood every year we have been here, and have a 40'x60' barn filled with motorized projects and tools. We just self built a 60'x104' pole barn to house all the animals, with stalls across one end, and an indoor riding arena. I would like to build a greenhouse soon, and have a big garden. We have a 100yd shooting range out back that friends and us practice on.

We have a small arsenal, but would like to make further preparations for the future with all that is going on in the last 7 years (read into that what you want).

Man sounds like you got a great start. More than most I would say. You are living my dream. I hope you find this place to be helpful.
    Vox Populi!

Welcome aboard from NJ. I would have to agree. You have an impressive layout.
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by porkingporkpork View Post
    Man sounds like you got a great start. More than most I would say. You are living my dream. I hope you find this place to be helpful.
    Yeah, really!!!! Envious!!

Joe - NY

Welcome aboard...
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Welcome aboard...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Glad you found us. Sounds like a nice place.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Hopefully i'll be able to retire in another 9 years with a decent pension, house is already paid off, so that is a huge weight off of our shoulders. Just looking to prepare for whatever (and whoever) comes down the road. The nearest niegbors are 1/4 mile in each direction, so we are pretty much on our own, with no real community to rely on (or to deal with should the SHTF). It is nice here, although the Winters can be rough, and the Summers hot (currently 96 degrees).

The biggest problem i have found all across this nation amongst prepper/survivalist is the false security of shelter.

What is proper shelter? You don't have shelter unless you have cover.

Some form of small tornado/fallout shelter is highly recommended. You need something ya can pour fire on.

If the above is to expensive, a simple foxhole with overhead cover is a Lil bit of work for excellent cover. You don't need to be sheltered for days but hours thru the worse.

If your to lazy to dig a hole, look for surrounding preexisting infastructure. Drainage culverts, overpasses, reinforced concrete structures.

Flexibility and range of motion, is great for the body and offer more survivabilty.

Ohio has some good ground. Believe everything east of the ms river is going to be cut off becoming something more like the hunger games.
    Last edited by Alredneck; 07-21-2016 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Pos ai changing the spelln

I would like to have a hidden cabin (in the trees on our property) with an underground shipping container bunker under it for storms and surviving the zombie appocalypse.

Zombies are all of the unprepared city people walking aimlessly outside the city limits with thier arms stretched looking for handouts.