Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been Busy This Summer

Default Been Busy This Summer

Hey Guys... and Cammy.

Been pretty busy this summer and haven't posted much, but I've been reading some of the postings. Doing the usual summertime stuff with the fam. The last week or so has been interesting though so I thought I'd reach out and share a few things and open the floor for discussion, rebuttal, banishment etc.

Wife and I took our CCW class and did our range time. Waiting on the Sheriff to send us that little card now. Casual Observation: Wife is not someone to be trifled with given the marksmanship she exhibited. Just wow.

Went to DE for my daughters lacrosse tournament and had an insightful convo w a State Trooper. He said that the Cleveland PD reached out to other departments nationally and requested 1200-1500 tactically trained officers for the RNC convention. Don't be surprised if you see more than just OH State Troops roaming around. Given the climate the request makes sense.

Can someone define 'tactically trained' for me though?

While still in DE, had to set a few moms straight with regard to 'assault rifles'. That was fun. They said that they appreciated the knowledge and 2A insight in a sane, non threatening manner. They were very curious about my own personal take on some issues (gun rights, meaning behind 2A, responsible ownership, etc.) so I thought I'd share some of my thoughts. I'd be curious to hear other opinions as well.

They were taken aback when I offered the following item for discussion:

I said that, for me, if you are exercising your 2A rights by owning a firearm, whether it be for personal protection, competitive shooting, training, hunting, etc. then you owe it to your family to have some form of binding agreement (like a will of sorts) in place as a family (no gov't interference or oversight), so everyone knows what to do with each and every item in the gun safe should you become mentally deficient or debilitated (accident, Alzheimers, Parkinsons, etc). IMO, in an un-related / kinda related vein, I said that the mother that brought weapons into the home with a mentally imbalanced son that directly led to Sandy Hook was an idiot for doing so.

The other nugget I offered as opinion revolved around their misconceptions of the 'gunshow loophole' which we all know doesn't exist. After I explained how FFL dealers are the ones selling weapons at gunshows and background checks are required on site, I then had to define a straw purchase and explain how those were illegal as are true military style assault weapons. I did state my opinion that the only olive branch 2A practitioners could offer the gun grabbers, that I could see at any rate, was that when grandma decides to sell her late husbands shotgun or rifle that the sale must take place in Sheriff's office. That way a background check could be performed. The PD can't interfere with the sale in any way. Their only role is to process the background check and give a thumbs up or down on the sale. If the weapon was staying within the family then that check wouldn't be necessary.

No solution is perfect and a determined person will get their hands on a gun no matter what the law says.

So I'm curious. In your opinion, would either of those stances (binding agreements, non familial background check) weaken the letter of the law when it comes to the 2A and its purpose or intent? Is either of these the proverbial slippery slope that eventually leads to an Australian style nightmare?
    Hannibal ad portas

While the thing about clearing any sale of estate guns makes sense and is not unreasonable, I think it does set precedence that gun grabbers would jump on. From there it would be,"why not do that for all sales", then something like, " well while there, why not just make a record of purchaser, seller," and so on. I'm reasonable but then it amounts to dealing with unreasonable people and there can be no quarter given.

NRA should go on a PR blitz and send trained spokespersons out to the communities and neighborhood POA clubhouses, and teach the flaw of the liberal spin.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

Welcome back author! Was wondering where you vanished to.
    It really makes me happy to see another learn and take control of their 2A rights as responsible American citizens.
    2 thumbs up on your wife's keen marksmanship! Not only will it give you peace of mind when you're away, but it will give her more pride in the ability to defend herself. That in itself is a positive attribute from a woman's point of view.

Just my opinion but maybe your next approach could be to learn tactical skills, as in hand to hand/self defense. You wouldn't regret it.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

I suggest a 'GunTrust'. Although laws have recently changed, one can assign ownership of each firearm upon ones death... From what I understand now, all recipients must pass a background check and be found legal to own a gun... This law just became enforced July 12th as I understand it...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

the sale must take place in Sheriff's office
    I would never go along with this. If the gov so intently wants everyone to do background checks then why don't they just provide a telephone number for anyone to call when selling a gun to do a check? That would cost nobody anything and the sale could be completed at any location in a town or in the country.

your family to have some form of binding agreement
    This would be a personal matter in anyone's family (if they so desired) and no mention of it need be related to any gov entity.
    We have plenty of gun laws now that are either not enforced or are just worthless. There is zero need for any others.

I believe Ben Franklin said it best..."Those who would sacrifice essential liberties for a little TEMPORARY security deserve neither. Liberty and freedom has come with an extremely high price tag, and always will. Don't agree? Ask those who spilled their blood, some to the point of giving their very lives, to at first ATTAIN IT (American Revolutionary war) AND all who have done so to RETAIN those freedoms and liberties. I SHALL NOT EVER give one millimeter of ground to ANYONE who feels we would all be safer if no one had guns. Those mindless idiots live in a world of fantasy like no other, and reality scares the bejeezus out of them. Nor the power mad elites who think ONLY they are intelligent enough to know what is best for me. HELL NO!!!! I am way more than capable of thinking for myself, thank you! You want my guns...MOLON LABE!! And bring lots of help. Ohhh, I could REALLY get long winded on this topic, but I shall spare all of you good folks.
    Last edited by beowulf; 07-19-2016 at 03:09 PM.

They live in the world of Avatar.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    I believe Ben Franklin said it best..."Those who would sacrifice essential liberties for a little TEMPORARY security deserve neither. Liberty and freedom has come with an extremely high price tag, and always will. Don't agree? Ask those who spilled their blood, some to the point of giving their very lives, to at first ATTAIN IT (American Revolutionary war) AND all who have done so to RETAIN those freedoms and liberties. I SHALL NOT EVER give one millimeter of ground to ANYONE who feels we would all be safer if no one had guns. Those mindless idiots live in a world of fantasy like no other, and reality scares the bejeezus out of them. Nor the power mad elites who think ONLY they are intelligent enough to know what is best for me. HELL NO!!!! I am way more than capable of thinking for myself, thank you! You want my guns...MOLON LABE!! And bring lots of help. Ohhh, I could REALLY get long winded on this topic, but I shall spare all of you good folks.
    Excellent response and I completely agree.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by HatetosayItoldyouso... View Post
    I suggest a 'GunTrust'. Although laws have recently changed, one can assign ownership of each firearm upon ones death... From what I understand now, all recipients must pass a background check and be found legal to own a gun... This law just became enforced July 12th as I understand it...
    yeah right. can't wait to see the pricks try to enforce that law. screw them all.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    yeah right. can't wait to see the pricks try to enforce that law. screw them all.
    This is truly a real pisser... I ended up buying 2 suppressors and chose to go the Trust route... Unfortunately, this is the fastest way to get them out of ATF jail... Other than that, I don't really see much purpose... My brothers are on board w/ prepping and know what I have... I won't be room temp before they'll be backing up the U-Haul...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...