Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding a USB outlet to a flashlight

Default Adding a USB outlet to a flashlight

So our power is not exactly real reliable at my house. Since February, I have lost count how many times the power has gone out and came right back on (10 times on one particular evening alone) and it has gone completely out for several hours on 2 occasions. So I wanted some way to charge my cell phone, and power other USB type devices. I had bought a power pack but it MIGHT charge the phone once before the battery was dead and forget about it powering a small fan all night.

Then the thought occured to me, why not add a USB outlet to my Ryobi flashlight? It uses the standard Ryobi 18 volt battery, and I have a couple of the higher capacity lithium ion batteries. Not to mention, I have a car charger now to recharge the 18 volt batteries. Perfect!

So I went on to Ebay and bought a dual USB 9v/12v/24v/36v to 5V DC-DC 3 amp Step Down Power Module.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311594564961...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I added a small switch to be able to turn this module on or off independant of the flashlight, then proceeded to open the Ryobi P704 flashlight and wire things up. Here is the end result;

So far I have charged my cell phone twice on the same battery. I want to see how many times I can recharge it before the 18 volt battery needs to be recharged. After that I will hook up one of the small USB fans to it and see if it will run all night on the small 18 volt battery before trying the extra capacity battery.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Neat idea.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Very cool!!!
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Cool!

This is a good idea,, but to complicated for me. I just bought a marine deep cell battery from Wally World and a small inverter. It also keeps my internet up for a few hours. Also put some alligator clips on an old lamp, installed a 12 volt bulb for emergency lighting.

Hit up ryobi and suggest a charging station that runs off their batteries. That's a good idea
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    Hit up ryobi and suggest a charging station that runs off their batteries. That's a good idea
    That is a good idea!

The whole premise of this is light weight portability. When I go camping, instead of brining the big fan and a big battery and a power inverter, I can just being this flashlight and one or two of the small USB powered fans. Not to mention when our power does go out, instead of running an extension cord to the downstairs inverter/battery bank, I can just roll over, plug my phone in to this, and plug a small fan into it and go back to sleep quickly.

Now just get bluetooth for the saw, and you are ready.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I've recharged my cell phone 3 times from 20% to 30% charge to a full charge with the setup now on the same 18 volt battery without having to recharge the 18 volt battery.

I gotta say that is some outside the box thinking. I wouldn't even know where to start with this. I also like that it seems to a pretty inexpensive way to solve a problem. BZ
    Vox Populi!