Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding a USB outlet to a flashlight

Quote Originally Posted by Tdale View Post
    Very cool!!!
    Tdale, ya seen any reviews of backup battery chargers or back pack solar chargers. Anything on the ones who supposedly will jump start a car?

Gt, nifty. Very resourceful

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by Alredneck View Post
    Tdale, ya seen any reviews of backup battery chargers or back pack solar chargers. Anything on the ones who supposedly will jump start a car?

I keep one in my car... No personal review as I haven't needed it... Hope not to... Reviews on Amazon were supportive...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

I don't have one of the little battery packs that can jump a car, I've heard they work just fine, but I have no personal experience with them. Been eyeing this one https://www.amazon.com/Car-Rover-Mul...EP1Q8KD4CVBY8X It might be in my future, never enough time or money lol.

Currently in my GHB I carry a 26,000mAh USB battery pack along with a solar charger for the battery pack, this is for my Cellphone, Ham Radio, Flashlight, Geiger counter, and AA/AAA/CR123 battery charger. It keeps all that going off grid no problem.

This is the battery pack I carry https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but it cannot jump a car, it's just USB voltage (5V)

This is the solar panel I carry https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 also only puts out USB voltage

I think if you wanted one of the battery packs that can jump a car you'd need a different solar panel (than the one I have) to charge it or you'd have to DIY a charger with a DC-to-DC buck converter to change the 5 volt output of a panel like mine to 15 volts ....... and that would be a lossy process. You could do it, but it might be better to get a panel rated at the voltage you'd need to charge the battery pack.....maybe one of the Goal Zero's will put out 15V IDK
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Alright, the Ryobi 18 volt battery just gave up the ghost on the 4th recharge of my cell phone. The battery on my phone was down to 25% and when it got up to 80% is when the flashlight battery died.

Now this was on the standard 1.2 amp/hr battery. With the larger 2.4 amp/hr battery it would keep my phone charged for a week, easily. Now to change the flash light bulb to an LED one.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    Alright, the Ryobi 18 volt battery just gave up the ghost on the 4th recharge of my cell phone. The battery on my phone was down to 25% and when it got up to 80% is when the flashlight battery died.

Now this was on the standard 1.2 amp/hr battery. With the larger 2.4 amp/hr battery it would keep my phone charged for a week, easily. Now to change the flash light bulb to an LED one.
    I might have to copy your flashlight mod. never hurts to have an extra charging source.

I have a Ryobi One set, and quite a few buck converters laying around. I think it's a great idea

For your LED upgrade they have LED bulbs that are plug-and-play https://www.amazon.com/HQRP-Upgrade-.../dp/B00FOS7N0S
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

very cool indeed, got tons of old powered equip laying around as well, im stealing this as well... hee hee
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

those little converters work really well with solar panels, a bit more complicated but if the sun isn't playing ball you can wire capacitors into the feed to pulse power through.

you can also wire up a charger using spade type connectors for most power tool batteries or laptop batteries to a 12v style socket and use standard car type chargers, they are designed to step down as standard and are easy to find and hack apart.

for civil type disasters most domestic phone lines carry a 5v current you can tap into at a push.

longer term then car alternators also make generators when run to a water wheel, windmill, exercise bike or treadmill. any motor can be used as a dynamo so its possible to reverse charge a power tool battery using the tool itself. stick and allen key into the chuck and spin it in a low gear.

another way for small device charging is solar garden lights, use the light to charge AA batteries then the batteries to charge the phone/tablet. not the quickest way but viable as many people have solar lights as they can charge outside then bring inside for working night lights, I've done this here in the UK with scout camps.

you can do similar things to laptops, the power socket is rated to the machine which can be anything from 10-20v but the batteries are usually 10-12v so you can either charge the battery or take the cells out and patch a car/tool battery to the control board and run it that way. the battery indicator will be a tad screwy but it can get your data off. I tend to not throw much away and run old/broken laptops as spare desktop units into Tvs by wiring chargers with broken leads through knackered battery shells. it isn't going anywhere and is a good upcycle that you don't need to be an electronics wiz to do. that laptop also gives you a usb charging station.

^awesome first post.

^awesome first post.
    I agree!
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Ta, I'd been waiting to get approved to make it. I stumbled on this forum whilst looking for the survivaltopics one but it appears that Ron has shut it down entirely which is a shame as there was a lot of damn good info on there including a lot of mine. Mind you I have noticed the problems with a lot of survival forums is they become survivalist ones which are a different species entirely IMO.

I'll post a hello in the newbies section when I find it and work out a suitable tag line.