Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micro Campers

Default Micro Campers

Been wanting something more then a tent to stay in when camping.
    2 back surgeries and not getting younger makes sleeping on the ground no beuno
    Anyways....

Haven't decided if I will build it in the back of the pick em truck or a pull behind.

Any of y'all ever built your own "camper"?

What would you look for as a starter to build on top off if it were to be a tow behind?
    Cry in training - laugh in battle

Never built one or slept in one, but those little teardrop mini campers look pretty good. Probably too hot to sleep in here in Texas during summer, but solid shelter in bad weather. Curious how the kitchen looks. If something like a chuck wagon rig, they could be really nice. Small enough to tow behind my CJ and not slow it down much.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    Never built one or slept in one, but those little teardrop mini campers look pretty good. Probably too hot to sleep in here in Texas during summer, but solid shelter in bad weather. Curious how the kitchen looks. If something like a chuck wagon rig, they could be really nice. Small enough to tow behind my CJ and not slow it down much.
    The back of them opens up for the kitchen. Some of them have sinks, propane stoves, a fridge and even a microwave back there. Some are just an empty shelf.

You can get the tear drop campers with a window unit a/c in them too.

I saw a tear drop camper dealer in brownwood texas a couple of years ago. Had my nieces and nephews convinced they were RVs for midgets.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
    Been wanting something more then a tent to stay in when camping.
    2 back surgeries and not getting younger makes sleeping on the ground no beuno
    Anyways....

Haven't decided if I will build it in the back of the pick em truck or a pull behind.

Any of y'all ever built your own "camper"?

What would you look for as a starter to build on top off if it were to be a tow behind?
    Funny you should mention this, I've been thinking the same exact thing

I've been toying with the idea of building a camper out of a V nose cargo trailer and weighing that option against a truck cap camper

I like the idea of a bed camper. I currently use a Truckbed Tent when I go camping but I'd like something I didn't have to set-up and take down anytime I go into town

The Truck Bed Camper I've been thinking about is kind of modeled from this DIY one made from Plywood. I'd use 2"X2" and 1/4" Plywood to keep the weight down

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/boondoc...ilt-my-camper/

But going the cargo trailer route would give a ton more room and I could include a full size shower. Something similar to this, but without a bed that raises and lowers.

The last option I've been thinking about is buying a used moving truck from U-Haul, and then converting that into an RV, But I don't think I'll end up going this route, I like the Truck Cap Camper or V nose Cargo Trailer option better

http://www.vagabondjourney.com/movin...-an-rv-part-3/

Each option has it's advantages and disadvantages, but the truck Cap Camper would be the easiest and least expensive, the only thing stopping me from building one right now is I think it would be a real PITA to put on and take off. If I can figure out an inexpensive way to mount and dismount the camper I'd probably build one this summer.

This is the Truckbed Tent I currently use. I like it a lot better than sleeping on the ground. No matter how hard it rains you don't wake up in a puddle and no sharp objects on the ground to pop your air mattress. I have one of these Truckbad mattresses in it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HCCNUY...H7A2NX0YB1G3P9. It's pretty comfey.

Last edited by Tdale; 07-17-2016 at 09:27 AM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Building your own would be cool and an accomplishment but it would be much easier (and possibly cheaper) just to buy a factory made one of either style.
    I used tent trailers for years mostly for hunting but also family camping. They pull easy behind most anything and with with a four wheel drive you can drag them way back in the hills for secluded camping. I have used tent trailers down to 15 below temps.
    Now that I am growing tired I have started using a motor home for more comforts.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    Building your own would be cool and an accomplishment but it would be much easier (and possibly cheaper) just to buy a factory made one of either style.
    I used tent trailers for years mostly for hunting but also family camping. They pull easy behind most anything and with with a four wheel drive you can drag them way back in the hills for secluded camping. I have used tent trailers down to 15 below temps.
    Now that I am growing tired I have started using a motor home for more comforts.
    Agree that it could be easier and cheaper

But if you DIY one you get things exactly the way you want it, plus you can't put a price on the satisfaction of the DIY route. I love building things.

Kind of like so called "Drones", you can buy DJI and have one ready to go out of the box, but I like to build my own

Built a nice little V tail Quad not too long ago. Probably would have been cheaper to buy a DJI, but the satisfaction of my DIY one outweighs buying one

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I have been planning to build a tear drop camper to pull behind the jeep. It seems to popular to start off with the trailer kit from Harbor feirght and build up from that.

starting with something like this and then adding the body of the camper. http://www.harborfreight.com/1720-lb...ler-62647.html
    Vox Populi!

Default Micro Campers

Hello All
    RE:Micro Campers
    After many years of horse camping/Trail riding/ an now Pack goats.
    I have acquired a old beat up Bendup 2 horse trailer (European) made that they use with their cars over there. Most horse people there can not afford to keep a truck.
    The company that makes these is a standard in Europe. Light Weigh, independent brake brake system, momentum activated.
    Ok enough of the OEM.
    Has a heavy fiberglass top with angle nose design (Aerodynamic)
    It is also a Ramp type the whole back end opens up to load 2 horses.
    =============================
    All the side walls (FRP) are rotted out.
    I would not put a horse in it now from the tag # it was built in 1968.
    All the metal every were in it is Galvanized steel.
    =============================
    It is going to get the saws all treatment and taken down to the frame.
    Save the Fiber Glass top and ramp.
    Rebuild the side walls to a lower height It will haul a horse that is 8 foot tall at the ears.
    For a camper that can come down quite a bit.
    The ramp on the back I keep and will use for a deck/extra space.
    Will keep the triangular nose and as a utilities compartment, LPG Tank, 12 volt power system, potable water, and storage. Interior lay out is still kinda up in the air pending structure rebuild.
    =======================
    Last note: I have had slide in truck campers and pulled horse trailers at the same time.
    Pull into camp unload the horses, drop the trailer, park the truck and not be able to make a supply run.
    The tent in your truck bed is a nice idea, if you plan to sit on site but will not go down the road at any speed with out damage.
    With a small "Tough" hardened mini Trailer Pull in, Drop it, set it up, and your Prime Mover is free to do what is needed.
    Last year at Prepper Camp in Saluda NC there was a guy that had converted a military trailer into a camper.
    The most interesting thing was that when packed up for travel it was flat to the box of the trailer, set up , he had a platform and a standard dome tent on top of the platform.
    His utilities were in the bed of the trailer as well as storage for supplies.
    He used a Jeep CJ5 to pull it.
    hihobaron and the Troops in SC

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

I own a crank up slide in truck camper and even though it is an 8 ft model it fits nicely and isn't to much for my 2005 chevy Z71 1500. it sticks out past the laid down tailgate but with the one by's in the bed under it it keeps the weight off the tailgate and with the beefier off road package the truck came with it barely squats the truck at all. I have recently been thinking of other means to transport this though as I hate carrying the jacks around with me all the time to take it out if it is an extended stay and don't want to keep closing up and securing everything just to go some place. have towed my jeep behind and leave the truck in place but sometimes it just isn't feasible especially considering gas prices since mine is an 87 waggy which is some weight to be dragging around added to the weight of the camper in the back with gear loaded into both.
    I recently came up with an idea and as soon as funds come available I am going to give it a try.
    My idea is one day while looking through random forums on this subject I happened along this guy who dedicated his p u to be an all the time hauler of his camper. he replaced his bed with a work truck bed and it looked very nice... he had it set up kinda like the adentureland trailers are lots of storage...he just uses it for exclusively bov or camping and has another vehicle as a daily driver... this wont work for me.
    I then went to a junk yard and found many 2005 chevys just like mine with destroyed front ends, but sides and beds fine. I remembered growing up my dad took one of our old non working trucks and chopped the frame and made a trailer with the bed still on it to use for a wood hauler for cutting our wood and the wood we sold.
    I figured take a scrap truck bought really cheap at auction from a junk yard ensuring the frame I needed to be good was good... buy a work truck bed put it on. weld a very nice tongue onto this and permantely mount my camper in this setup.
    ?????
    any ideas or comments.
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Not a start from scratch ... but 20 years ago... I bought a 21' from a guy using it for storing auto parts...$300. new floor, rugs, roof, new electric, and water lines... tires and some other little camper parts... water heater burner assy and such.... took about 2 months in the driveway.... and about $800... ended up with a very nice, full use trailer. shower and full bath, 4 burner stove with oven, 2 refrigerators, slept 7, kit sink elec and propane everything....

Sold it for twice the investment years later but all good times and definitely not hard to do.
    Reports that the infection was spread by rage-infected monkeys have now been dismissed as bull****